Hand Tool brand: Xcelite vs. Crescent

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xcelite vs. Crescent

• Xcelite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crescent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
I've used Crescent tools for quite a while now and I think they're great. But it's about time I buy some replacements and I was looking at the Xcelite and I can't find any difference between some of their hand tools and the Crescent other than being almost two times as expensive. I know they're both made by Cooper tools. Appearance-wise a lot of the tools look identical. Anyone have experience with both?

I can share my experience with Xcelite cutters, I go through a few pairs a year. the metal they make the cross cutters from is very soft and just cutting components on a pcb, the blades get indented so you get a bunch of dead spots on the blade that wont cut at all and of course your leaded component fits perfectly in the gap... I dont abuse those things at all, they are just really soft. I keep buying them though, I wish there was a replacement that woudl last longer than a few months of active use. They feel good in the hands though.

dave

Get your cutters at Sears - nice solid blades, plus there's that lifetime replacement thing.

I don't know much of a difference between Crescent and Xcelite, other than Xcelite nutdrivers use some kind of plastic that smells funny. Probably either kind is "good enough" for professional use.

Xcelite back in the 60's were excellent tools and had a lifetime replacement guarantee, until Cooper bought them out. After that the quality went downhill.
Cooper maintained the replacement guarantee for a number of years until they discovered their tools were crap and it was costing them a lot of money in warranty returns. I think now they have a one year limited warranty. I don't bother buying this crap anymore. Xcelite and Crescent are the same stuff, just a different label.

Klein tools are somewhat more respectable; better quality steel and a reasonable replacement warranty. The best cutters I have ever used are made in Sweden by a company called Lindstrom. These will cut high carbon piano wire without nicking the jaws. But - they are expensive and I became disenchanted when mine fell off a ladder and broke one of the jaws off. The lindstrom representative told me dropping tools is considered abuse and they wouldn't cover them. As long as you don't drop them, they should last for years.

I use only Sandvik Lindstrom nowadays. I'm careful not to cut steel or other silly things with them, and they've lasted for about 5 years so far... though I did get three sets of them. The spring is a silly design, but I don't like sprung cutters anyway, so I generally remove the spring.

Keith

The $35.00 cutters are better than the $12.00 cutters. Being an electrical contractor, I use Klein tools for the bigger thangs.

I love my ancient Xcelite nut drivers---that outgassing goes on and on and triggers memories. And then there were the old Kraeuter longnose and diagonal cutters that used to last a long time.

[quote author="bcarso"]---that outgassing goes on and on and triggers memories. [/quote]
...so it's not just me then? -It reminds me of childhood plastic toys from so long ago that all I can remember is the plastic smell!!

Wiha screwdrivers... -YES!!! the pozidrivs are the finest in the world!

Keith

Klein if you can find them.

I have niticed the decline of Xcelite also.

And Lindstrom. Exactly what Keef said. The last for years if you don't mistreat them.
But they are bucks. 60 to 80 us for flush cuts last time I checked.

[quote author="bcarso"]I love my ancient Xcelite nut drivers---that outgassing goes on and on and triggers memories. And then there were the old Kraeuter longnose and diagonal cutters that used to last a long time.[/quote]
My Xcelite nutdrivers are so old they don't smell anymore! It's a set my dad gave me for a gift years ago. He bought them around 1964. They are holding up to everday usage great. A monument to what Xcelite once was...

One thing to remember when buying flush cutters is to read what gauge they are rated for.

I bought a $10 pair of Xcelites, lasted 2 months, bought a pair of $30 Xcelites and they've lasted about 1 3/4 years now.

My dad opened his tv repair shop in 1948. I am using an xcellite 5/16's from the early 50's here.
And when I open his old tube caddy, and that smell hits me, I'm teleported to the 60's instantly.=) This thread makes me feel less crazy, somehow.

I will second the Sears Craftsmans cutters. They really have held up better then most any other pair I have had. Their one weak spot is the spring steel spring things. They tend to break after awhile. But by the time that breaks they are getting dull so you just bring them to Sears and they hand you a new pair no questions asked. I really do not expect to have to ever buy another pair, unless sears goes cheap and lets the quality slide.

The only pair I have had that were better then the Craftsmen are ones from a local foundry that is no longer in buisness. Those things took me years to wear out. Klien seemed to hold up just as well as the Sears ones, Klien Screwdrivers are the best though. Never broken a single one, not even the handles. I have my dads old set, which have to be over 30 years old now.

adam

Latest posts

Back