DIY (passive) surround monitor controller

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadwould

SO i need to build a surround monitor controller.

Have gig the requires a surround mix, and have a few more that may also too.. i have a Central Station but......

would love to make one of these but i dont think Mesmer will release the schematics.....

I know the basics, and could probably part out most of it, but i am wondering about the specific values of the resistors, and possible how to get meters off of the signal.... and am thinking of having the option of a stereo folddown... but that would be something i would do later......

anyone with schemats or drawings or anything??

OK so i found some rotary switches. a couple different Elma ones and a some Janco ones..... they are 24 position 6 deck (for 5.1).

http://www.jancocorp.com/products/frprocts.htm
and then go to Series AA, (select indexing) AA15

also the series A, A15

and then there are these from elma:

number 1

number 2

number 3

number 4

and then there are these from goldpoint:

goldpoit number 1 and 2

Which of these shoudl i go with... they all look pretty dame similar and comparable (save for the series versus shunt type part....)

So does anyone know about any 30 position switches?? that would be really COOL :idea: :grin:

24 is plenty for me, as I tend to leave the knob in the same position 99% of the time.
I’d look at adding a solo for each channel.

Me, I’m wanting to build the same thing, and am probably going with Elma or Alps if they make a 6 deck.
I want to replace my Drawmer 7.1 as it has a flaky input, and I’m mainly need 5.1 anyway.
So time to build one.

I’ll post when the schematic is done if anyone is interested- i know this is an ancient thread, but it’s even more relevant now.
Cheers

Not really a DIY answer here (more of a rant), but I drove myself crazy trying to find a solution for the occasional 7.1.4 mix that I work on. I have the speakers and interface outputs but I needed a volume control. I looked into a DIY VCA-based controller, but then feature creep, etc and I know it would never get done in time to do some actual work. Then I thought of purchasing a MOTU or UAD interface that has software monitor control but I already have converters that I'm happy with (and I own). Then I came across the Ginger Audio Sphere monitor controller, which is software-based, but does everything a full-featured hardware controller could do. The only caveat is that your monitors are wide open after the app, so you really need to make sure your interface doesn't output any high-level noises for any reason (like switching apps/plugins/etc). I think there is a need for a scalable monitor controller kit that doesn't cost thousands of dollars!

For 5.1 I used to use my console's monitor section or just a 5.1 AUX fader in Pro Tools, but for 7.1.4 the Dolby Renderer sort of has a volume controller, but it's a dangerous solution!

To me most systems I have seen doing 7.1.4 are all digital. So like out the daw into the renderer via a digital connection. Out the renderer digitally into a monitor system. Speakers all digital connections.
The one we have for demo is all digital. If I didn’t have a digital desk for the whole thing, the only real monitor control I would have is in the genelec software

Latest posts

Back