Lundahl 1:110 ribbon trafo

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> You need a nice flat bed to start off with if you are going to wind a ton of thin wire layers.

True. But in this case we are looking at a few-tenths to few-K transformer. The few-K side will be the same as any other few-K winding, such as a 1:3 200Ω:1K8Ω standard mike input transformer for discrete or chip input. Nothing new on that side.

As a general rule, the pounds of wire in primary and secondary are the same, and they take equal areas of the core-window. Sometimes you want to put more in one than the other: very-high-Z windings have many-many turns and thus a lot of varnish, so for equal-copper they have to take more than half the window area. Or the "ideal" size is too thin to wind without breaking, so you use "oversize wire" on that winding and use "too small" wire in the other winding, and try to find a happy balance.

The few-tenths side is tougher. If we did not need good power transfer (we don't) and don't need low-low noise (ah, but we do) then we could wind ~20 turns of anything handy. But we do want winding resistance "low" compared to ribbon resistance to avoid adding noise. That suggests a fairly fat wire. And fat wire resists being laid neat and tight. In some big-power work, you bring the wire (more like a rod) through the window, and beat it with a hammer to make the bend around the corner. At #18 size you just mash it with a popsicle stick to flatten it around the corner without bruising your thumb.

>> copper foil winding primary trafo for ribbons yet?
> would give quite high winding capacitance, wouldn't it?

What is "high" capacitance on a 0.1Ω winding? Something like 100uFd for 20KHz response, no? And in fact the capacitance is mostly proportional to transformer size, and the number of interleavings, not much about the shape of the wire. You have to try very hard to get more than a few hundred pFd.

On the few ribbon-mikes I've autopsied, they use like #18 wire to link the ribbon to the transformer, and at that point it makes sense to just carry the #18 around the core 20 times. I suppose they could foil-wind the primary and use the foil to link to the ribbon, but foil costs MUCH more. At at 20 turns, round-wire works OK. If it were 1 turn, foil would make more sense.

Crack open a Weller soldering Gun.
af4712f0cd625c00823a2e0789de7d8f.jpg
The secondary is a tube hammered flat so it will fit neat inside the core window. They start with a tube because they need stiffness outside the transformer to support the heating-tip. The tip runs about 0.1V 500 Amps or 0.000,2 ohms.

fito so do you think you will try one of these trafo's?
one of us should huh? :grin:
seems like this is about as high of a ratio we will ever be able to get in a ribbon mic...i am super curios how it would respond to the different designs i am using..
anyway cool stuff :thumb:
later
ts

Toobie, I don't think I'll try it too soon as I'll have to go to the extra work of sorting out the active output stage at a time when I'm trying to concentrate in mastering (and I mean Mastering :shock: ) the plain ole ribbon technology.

But I thought it would be good for you guys to hear about this new Lundahl trafo, as some of you might pop up (as you effectively have) with clever ideas/suggestions. :thumb:

For now I'm experimenting a bit with a couple of Edcor trafos I got in the mail this morning. Yes, I know, no mu-metal can, cheap, limited, etc. Well, I have to say I am rather impressed with the performance of their 1:37 trafo. I have tred it side by side against my 1:40 Sowter and guess what? It's not shabby at all!

That said, what we all do is all about exprimenting I guess, so it's very likely that one of these days I might find myself tinkering with the 1:110 Lundahl and posting my findings. In the meantime, if someone beats me to it, please do post your findings/thoughts here. :grin:

nice effort in trying to find a cheapy we can experiment with... and something that may end up being very desireable.
so how cost effective for these trafo's your mentioned?
i don't have exact specs on my trafo but i was told it is somewhere about 1:28 which is so far from sowters 1:40
damn i bet if i had one of those sowter puppies i'd get amazing output!!

hey as usual i have a crazy suggestion for you..
:shock: well there's a shocker hehe :shock:
shieded speakers have this mumetal don't they?
if you could find some scrap speakers from a small tv or some sheilded computer speakers the metal around the magnets might be a goood candidate for a mumetal enlosure :grin: ... hehe

what ya think?

might be worth a try...and if it don't fit in your mic enclosure ...well.. your pretty good with that hammer of yours :wink:

hope this helps
later
ts

Toob, it's not usually mu metal---that would be prohibitively expensive. I'm not sure precisely what it is, but probably just soft iron with some plating and varnish.

EDIT: and most if not all are just field shapers to facilitate the use of the cancelling magnet to which PRR refers.

> shieded speakers have this mumetal don't they?

No. They aren't even shielded: they are cancelled. They have a second magnet mounted backward, so the field a few inches away is about zero.

In the JBL Soundsticks the polarity of the magnets of the four speakers in each satellite alternate along the y axis---or at least they are supposed to. They also have a cup shield and probably a cancelling magnet underneath (I will have to verify this with the driver designer). I think they have a Hall effect fixture to make certain that they were put together properly. Of course as well the voice coil contacts have to alternate to preserve proper polarity.

An exception to all of the conventional drivers is the radial magnet drivers from A*rasound, which are inherently low external field, as well as very uniform w.r.t. displacement vs. BL, and consequently low distortion. They are a bit pricey due to the material and labor cost, something not likely to change much even at high manufacturing volume. Their low distortion is revelatory in my experience.

[quote author="PRR"] copper foil winding primary trafo for ribbons yet
On the few ribbon-mikes I've autopsied, they use like #18 wire to link the ribbon to the transformer, and at that point it makes sense to just carry the #18 around the core 20 times. I
suppose they could foil-wind the primary and use the foil to link to the ribbon, but foil costs MUCH more. At at 20 turns, round-wire works OK. If it were 1 turn, foil would make more sense.
[/quote]
Some looks from praxis.
It is difficult to wire 20 turns of primary at the inner winding.
Skelet deforms and wire - under critical radius.
And permalloy transformer with cylindrical core shape ????
Use four wires in paralel. I did it and perfectly works.
Using foil is unpractical. At the first - how to isolate it (Teflon folies ??)
And second - How to make terminals (and astatically) ???
And third: where buy foil with proper thick, or to put foils paralel?,
the some is paralel wires.

xvlk

I have a big roll of heavy foil so it occured to me. But it was probably expensive stuff (as usual being scrapped at a certain client's).

Actually teflon tape, though, is not a bad idea. Easy to puncture though.

Latest posts

Back