Amek M-2500 Recap and Rechip reccomendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmusic101

Hey guys I recently aquired an Amek M-2500 in bad need of a recapping. I plan to use BC components & Panasonic ECG for the caps. I am curious about chips though. I would like to use the Burr Brown 134 series. Any reccomendations?

The console allready has a beefed up power supply so I don't think power consumtion is too much of an issue. I am concerned about the Slew rate though.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows where to find a manual for this console I would like to purchase an original or a copy.

Thanks!

never heard one but, I would try Nichicon HE series caps and the OPA604 series. the nichicons have a nice smooth sound, not harsh like the panas can be. the opa2604/opa604 are much more open and less scooped in the mids than the 134s can be. I tried them and didn't like them at all.

good luck!

You can email Texas Instruments, tell them the chips you wish to replace and they will give yo a Burr-Brown recommendation. They will even call and talk to you about your options.

What chips are they?

I replaced all the LM301AN in my console with BB OPA227.

You Should Try the Nichicon KZ series and Elna Silk.

http://www.hndme.com/storecapelectrolnichKZ.html

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it. I spoke with TI the other day and did'nt get wonderful results. I suppose I can try to muster through the data sheets and come up with something.

I appreciate the help.

Dan

I think funky junk in the uk have manuals/schematics.

or http://www.audiomaintenance.com/

si

[quote author="dmusic101"]Thanks for the advice. I will look into it. I spoke with TI the other day and did'nt get wonderful results. I suppose I can try to muster through the data sheets and come up with something.

I appreciate the help.

Dan[/quote]

Hey Dan thats surprising.. shoot TI another email,put in your Subject: attention Scott Hill. it took him about 2 days to get back to me (after doing some research) then he called me 3 times and followed up with another email.

From memory, the 2500 is mainly 5534s and the like. The EQ uses TL074s...

It might be an expensive proposition for little perceptible improvement... Ameks weren't built cutting corners on chip costs, and Graham Langley is no fool when it comes to which ICs work where.

I've tried different chips in the EQs and eventually opted to leave the 074s in there. Couldn't get any real improvements without accompanying problems or worsening of performance in other areas.

The caps may indeed benefit from replacement, but don't assume that re-chipping is going to yield comparable benefits, if you must satisfy your curiosity be my guest, but I heartily recommend doing ONE channel before you commit to buying thousands of IC's... if your discoveries are in line with mine, then you'd have saved yourself thousands of dollars... possibly more than the console would be worth!

Keith

FWIW my M2000 (a fair few similarities) only benefitted from lytic recapping (with bypasses added too), the LF353s in the EQ have stayed, as have the TDA1034s (very similar to 5534s).

Latest posts

Back