Old parts for a G1176 from a Gates Solidstatman?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

Hi, I have 3 Gates solidstateman which are cool compressors. One of them doesn't compress but passes signal well. Anyrate, I was thinking instead of trying to fix it, using the box, output transformer, power transformer, VU meter for the G1176. I was wondering, how would I know if the Power transformer, output transformer, and meter would work?

I would soooo not gut it!
get it fixed with help from here, or I bet someone has the parts you want and would exchange for the broken unit.
They're pretty ugly beasts and the small VU wouldn't look that good on an 1176 clone.

Trade it for a case, meter, transformers etc. on the black market. -If you're good about it, you might even be able to get the PCB thrown in.

I also vote for "don't destroy history".

Imagine if this had been 20 years ago and someone would have posted:

"I have thre LA-2a's here, one doesn;t work so I was thinking of gutting it and putting an SSL comp in it"

Of course the SSL comp is a good comp, but LA-2a's were an overlooked item a few years ago, and found in dumpsters... people really did gut a few of them and use the cases...

Oh, how they must wring their hands about it now...

Keith

well. Yea I guess. I really do like the sound the solidstatemen. I have two others that are in perfect working condition and they sound great on guitars, drums. bass etc. In fact I like the sound of them so much I thought the output trans would sound reallycool in an 1176. But if someone would trade for a Power tranie and output trannie I'd do that in a second. Like I say the signal passes fine and sounds great it is just not compressing. I'll list it. Thanks.

Let me just third and fourth the votes for not ripping apart your statesman. I'm probably one of the very few european statesman owners and a huge fan. You just hafta love this dirt...

Cheers.

Michael

Which version? I have a pair of the 6629's (with expander) and I just 'restored' them - minimal recapping and undoing all of the damage done by a previous technician. Then I modded them a little bit - just changing the compressor time constant capacitors to make them more reasonable for my use. 0.1uF, 0.22uF and 1.0 uF in place of 1uF, 4.7uF, and 18 uF. I like the sound. It's a bit dirty but not in a bad way.

Here's the schematic I got while tracing out everything. The previous tech put NPN's where PNP's should have been, and forgot that the pinout of the NPN's and PNP's are different on this board. Anyways, after getting them all put together, they are nice and useful in my studio. I haven't used the expander function yet but it looks neat anyways.

http://www.10000cows.com/GatesM6629.pdf

The power transformer, by the way, has way too high of a voltage for either a G1176 or the GSSL. It's meant for something like a 60 or 70 volt supply before the voltage regulators.

Latest posts

Back