Anodise etch Front Panel legend graphics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

I have an Anodising factory up the road from me - great family run business - very helpful.
Recently I saw some Moog modular panels which were done by anodise etching. The legend and graphics are really good and very durable.
does anyone know much about this process.
is it possible one can use photosensitive protect like in PCB making process? Spray photosensitize on the panel in question. Develop artwork in a UV lightbox. Use developer on the panel - all that is not to be anodised is protected. and then give to the anodize people to do their stuff. when the panels are done use photosensitise stripper to reveal the raw aluminium legend.
if this is possible it might be a cool way to make frontpanels. Obviously its better if you have a few pieces to do to bring the cost down but generally anodising is pretty cheap

any examples??? pics??

i am looking for places to have my frontpanels done as well. i am requiring Uberhigh quality (pro level like the kit/gear we buy in stores)

this sounds promising

Most anodising-with-graphics is made by screen-printing the anodizing prior to "closing" the surface.

ANODIZING FOR AMATEURS:
http://archive.dstc.edu.au/BDU/staff/ron/meng/anodizing.html

Jakob E.

I have had fantastic anodizing results by laser-etching through a lacquer coating, then anodizing the exposed areas, then removing the lacquer and closing the anodizing process...

Works great. I think that most Laser engravers know who to go to for the complete process.

Keith

The way I am thinking is coat a clear aluminium panel with photoresist.
can use press and peel aswell I presume.

develop the artwork so the panel is anodised black and it leaves the legend not anodised under the photoresist protective coating.

does the writing really have to be etched? it will stand out as original clear metal against a black anodised background.

Then perhaps the anodising can be closed after the rest of the photoresist has been removed.

is this possible? if so it means I can develop artwork at home and just take to the anodisers probably in bulk.

method is rather limited - you would not want everything looking this way but it could be cool for a few things. Also dont forget they've got some pretty funky colours in anodising these days.

SOunds like a similar method. -Sill it work? -I suppose the easiest way os to beg a bit of scrap ally from the anodizers, tell them what you're going to do and that you'd like to run a test. Do something that obviosly says "TEST" so they know you're not trying to get something for free, and ask them to throw it in with whatever batch they happen to be running.

If it works, post results and Womp-A-Lomp... you're golden!!!

Keith

Tardishead,
I think Mr Purpose did the same thing but without the coloured front - i.e. just etched aluminium against a normal finish (for some Audix modules)
The piccie have gone - but it did look good

EDIT - found it
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2962&highlight=etch+peter

I just use a laser engraver to cut through the anodized color. With black panels it become a grey-ish white color. Good contrast, decent resolution. I'll try to get some pictures of the look if you are interested.

Most trophy shops now have a laser engraving setup.

went to the anodisers today. they said it should work. the only forseeable problem is if the process of anodising (different acid baths and such) destroys the layer of etch resist.
Has anyone used etch resist when anodising? does it survive the process?

Ok, here are some pics of what I have been doing.
http://avensonaudio.com/tech/laser/
They are big, so I won't put them inline.

I anodise first then take the piece to the laser engraver to cut the logo. The laser burns off the dye layer, but doen't really cut through the oxide layer. This logo is like 4.5" long for some perspective.

Latest posts

Back