Stereo DIY COMP/Limiters for Mastering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

I am interested in an Mastering Comp or LImiter.

I already have a Distressor. What I really need is a Stereo Limit/Comp.

For the price of two kits LA2a though I could get another Distressor...
The PPR Vari MU has only been done once with "ok" reviews and the 670 is not done.
The 1176 and SSL probably again for the parts of making two I could come close to getting another Distressor.

Keep in mind I want to master with this.
What would you do?

Or better Yet What do you use yourself.

Thanks,

-ChuckD

A pair of Distressors is a very cool buss compressor. I've used them many times with great results... Granted, that was a matched pair...

Thanks for the correction Verbos!
That makes the decision even harder, since the SSL would be cheaper then another Distressor.

But you didn't answer the question...
What would you do? Or what do you do.

Thanks,

_Chuck

Yes, the SSL behaves quite different from the distressor, so you would have a broader range of "tools" if you added this to your setup.

Also the SSL would be very easy to fit with stepped attenuators for threshold and makeup gain if you want switches instead of pots, as many prefer for mastering.

Jakob E.

build the ssl!

for me the ssl fits to 80% of the 2track processing I do....the other 20% is fine without compression :green:

steff

Jakob,

I understodd that he can't use the distressor yet, since he has one unit and this is mono. So his choice is: Build an SSL-clone or other clone or buy a second disteressor for stereo-application. Did I get this right Chuck?

Chris

chuck-

an ssl clone is really inexpensive to make if you let it be. The most expensive things will be the meter, the chasis and the power transformer... Build an SSL and then go back to saving for a second distressor, the parts cost wont set you back too much on that unit to not consider this option. I built mine with a sifam meter and a par metal chasis for probably less than $350. If you dont use a $120 meter you can save a lot of money...

dave

Well it looks as if people are getting great results with this SSL, so I guess I'll put one together.

Well I know that Kev had a parts list for Jaycar, but does anyone in the US have a parts list or even just a scan of their receipt for parts from Digikey or Mouser?

Has anyone used the method mentioned by Jakob above?

-Chuck

I had an Demaria Labs La2a type box a while back, and never really liked it on the full mix... Anything above a few DB of gain reduction and it was just too noticable in the chain, plus the lack of adjustable attack/release times made it less flexible than most mastering situations might call for... I'd assume the La2a would suffer from similar problems unless simply used for "color", but never used one so I can't be sure.

My first DIY project is an SSL for precisely this reason -- I want to slip it into my mostly DAW pluggin based mastering chain for some character, good old fashioned thd, and to knock of a few db's... I'd say do this, and down the line build a stereo pultec... Use pluggins for surgical eqing and brickwall limiting (or just clip the file!), and I'll bet you'll be pretty happy with your results.

Well, at least until we* come up with an alternative to that Wo-man-ley-vari-mu thing....

*Oh, and by "we" I really mean all you guys, as I have no idea what the hell I'm doing yet!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

[quote author="JayDee"]Steff, you´re right. But for me it´s my Manley or from DIY the Stereo 1176.[/quote]
Is there a schematic for a Stereo 1176, side-chain and all, or are you just talking about 2 1176's? I've been very interested in a Stereo 1176 unit with side-chain, is anyone building this?
Kelley

Back