Telefunken V672

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moqtev

I have the to chance to buy a couple of Telefunken V672 modules and need some advice. Of course I want to rack them and add +48V etc. Does anybody know websites etc where i can find information on how to do this and what I will ned. I've tried a search in this forum but can't anything about this.

I'm an almost newbie who just finished my first project the SSL comp (and biulding the second) and it works perfect. How difficult would the Telefunken project be compared to the SSL?

Morten

Hell no. What, make a post with valid information? What kind of a forum do you think this is? :?

Serously though, your right. I am just going on what other people, like Ollie, have told me. I figure build a 76 and 72 first, then what use will the transistor stuff be? I mean, if a car company built both a Mercedes and a Volkswagon Beatle, why buy the Beatle, unless your a masochist? (Sorry Keef!) Souping up a Sparrow Hawk does not make an Eagle.
Most of the white coats were gone from Telefunken by the time the transistor stuff came out. And transistors were pretty low quality when they first came out. So why not build the Tele tube stuff and build the Langevin/API/ETC stuff that has a proven track record? Then, if you happen to find some Tele transistor stuff on evilbay for cheap, go for it. But good luck finding parts.

From Ollie:

:Without the proper interfacing units or buffers, there is not to much what you can use, mic pres were either V72,76,77 and 78, forget about the a/b/t stuff they are just buffers and may or may not sound good as mic pres...
The transistor area units were based on the tube modules so designations are the same V276 (376, 476 and 676) are designated mic pres, and the V272,372,672 are mic pres but need in most cases modifications to sound good.
Everything else ANT, Lawo, etc. is not worth the price because they do not sound the same than the tube and real transistor units.

I do not think API, Neve etc. compare to the german transistor modules, entirely different battle class....

To rack or not to, is quite a difficult question, first I would put the money were it is badly needed, rebuild the units first, make sure it is done by a professional and done to specs, before you get into the cosmetic part.
Racking, very nice to have but most racks are quite questionable for the price they are offered. If you buy plug and play racked units, make sure it was done right...

To answer your question in short, there is no shortcut into good sound, if you want to V76, save the money and buy one, if you do not want to spent get something that is cheap, there are several hundred mic pres out there you can get for under $100...

If you have lots of time check out the Surplus offering of german radio stations.
Here is one link:
http://www.wdr.de/unternehmen/t-boerse/index.jhtml
There are about 20 government owned in germany so lot of potential to get some cool stuff...

Best regards,"

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]
Have you ever used a V676a ?[/quote]

I have. Im actually editing samples from a record I did using almost entirely german transistor preamps, I wont ever be repeating that episode. When I have my website updated, this stuff will all be up there. It is by far the darkest, sluggiest sounding record I have ever done.

The neumann 476 is really nice, its probably the smoothest of the bunch. The 276 is awesomely dark and similar to the pv46, the rest is all kinda shitty IMO, the headroom blows and the character isnt so exciting, the 676 has a nice glassy kinda top if you are into that. they arent bad sounding pre's I just dont personally care for them. Id reccomend listening to them at all if you can, for what you can in these days spend on those things, you could build yourself a rad api style thing and have a way ballsier box IMO. If you must have that stuff, Id hold out for a 476 or a 276, the 676 is really bright in comparison.

dave

I have to add my 2 cents and say the 676 is dirty in a way that makes it good on bass. I've also had good luck using it with a ribbon on floor tom, on kick or snare it's no slouch either. It's a little noisy - not my first choice for vox. There might be some variation from piece to piece, i've only sampled the two I own, and the only other t-funk stuff i've heard is a v72. My other options I weigh against are A_P_I or Chand|er. I want to pick up two more.

Frank

I use a V676a mic pre bought cheap on Evil Bay and I'm more than pleased with it.
I think much of the sound is in the transformers.

For vintage sounding vocals I use a cheapo Ribbon Mic T-Bone/Nady, V676a, Old RFT EQ (Germanium), G1176 Clone.
The vocals arent exactly clean :grin: but just what I want for these songs I'm working on.

Don't know much about the V672, but I have another Telefunken Line-pre racked up with Phantompower and it sounds really good as a micpre too,
with my ADK condensers so I think It's really a matter of taste wich color you like.
I've just started to build a Gyraf G9 Tubepre, by the way.

I agree with what people say about the V676a generally, when they say it`s no Neve, API etc, but does it need to be ?

I have a pair I recapped & I like the sound of them a lot, I also have V672/2 , which are not the same sound as the V676a, but they`re never the less useable.

The V676a work well with ribbons & have lots of gain in reserve.

I agree that they may not the solution if they`re the only mic amps you`re allowed to have, but I have a rack of homemade mic amps to play with so I don`t have to use them on everything.

...just in process of racking a v672 and a v372 together with pad, polarity, phantom and di input (all with kits from JLM) and a gain pot and maybe switchable input impedance. I haven't heard these modules, I'm really curious on how they sound. Will let you know how this turns out.
soundguy, maybe you should get your v276 checked, in my experience they sound way brighter / punchier than a V76, for example...

I have some pairs of german mic pres here: 476, 376 and 676 along with some vx72. You can`t compare x72 to x76 for mic aplications, x76 is the way to go for mic preamps.
My faves are the 476s, clean, transparent but with character, the 376 is in my opinion more open sounding with rounded bass than the 676 that like someone pointed have a bright sound.

Vx72 are great when you want a type of sound, but not for neutral, transparent, etc...

Best Regards,

Synthi.

That is very interesting, thanks Synthi!

Vx72 are great when you want a type of sound, but not for neutral, transparent, etc...

Great, it's nice to have different flavours to choose from... will report back once the racking is finished!

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]I agree with what people say about the V676a generally, when they say it`s no Neve, API etc, but does it need to be ?[/quote]

Rob, surely not but when I use that phrase Im thinking more along the lines of use rather than sound. There are lots of pre's out there that in use, are as solid as a neve or api, Id put thhe solid state langevin, RCA etc. types in that category but there is something about the solid state german stuff which to me is always very fussy to use. I guess it just comes down to poor headroom which doesnt make them as easy to use care free as some otther stuff, when those amps distort, there's nothing pleasant about it.

dave

Hi all!

Thanks for the your opnions on the 672...nice to hear :thumb:

I'm really looking for another sound in the preamp department. I have Avalons, focusrites etc and thought the Telefunkens would be a nice addition...I will of course also try to build the G9 when I get the time.

...I will continue my research for this project.

Thanks

Morten

A guy on another forum has schematics of a
"V776 4 channel mic preamp module (with switchable freq HPF) and it's matching EQ.."
"I should soon have copies of the documentation for a load of Neumann console modules if you're interested. I know some people with various different vintages of Neumann cutting consoles and I can go and make copies of the details when I'm next over there.!"

lucky boys...
"Hi Simon,

It's not taking the piss at all. It might, however, take a little while. I've just gone from hardly any work in over the next couple of months, to working almost every day.

Just for good measure, a three day booking of a series of archive recordings has just turned into four days but with parallel recordings for DSD surround and stereo for SACD, Hi-Res PCM surround and stereo for DVD and CD, and an 8 camera video shoot! So much for a couple of mics straight to CD-R.

If you can hang on for a few weeks until I can dig things out of the mess I laughingly call my filing system, I'll get them scanned and mail them to you. "

Back