Choosing a Tube Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not able to open the link you posted so I can not comment on it
Something is happening with this link, it don't works now. Is a web with nice tube projects.

Yeah, I started with tubes. But just after I was very aware of what I was doing regarding hih voltage caps, discharging, etc.
How to mesure voltages?
How to discharge?

hey your might also check out cj's v 72 thread
Can you give me the link ti this post? I don't find it.

I'm a bit confused, i don't know wich project choose: NYD, guitar preamp,...
NYD One-Bottle Preamp seems to be a good for beginners, but I only have the schematic and it's like chinesse for me.
If I learn all the simbologies in some book, can i construct any project only having the schematic?

Thanks!

Excuse me because i'm Spanish (Barcelona), and sometimes i lose some of the information you give me because the language.

Now i've understood that the amperes are the most dangerous.
Can I mesure the amperes?
And purge?

Thanks for your patience.

I'm sure a lot of folks here started off making tube guitar amps and we all lived to keep on making DIY stuff. I think being cautious and smart about what you're doing is the way to go but don't be scared out of doing it. The r*e*d*d*4*7 pre I made is amazing sounding and easy to make. If you really want to talk about spooky voltages try troubleshooting the CRT section of an old scope. 2000 angry volts :twisted:

Steve

[quote author="moce"]
Yeah, I started with tubes. But just after I was very aware of what I was doing regarding hih voltage caps, discharging, etc.
How to mesure voltages?
How to discharge?[/quote]

You measure voltages with a voltmeter, a VOM (volt-ohm-milliammeter) or a DMM (digital multimeter). They all work essentially the same way: there are two probes, typically red and black. You connect the black one to the circuit's ground, and you conntect the red one to the voltage you want to measure. The meter tells you what the voltage is. You usually need to use a selector switch to tell the meter what you're trying to measure (voltage, current, resistance, etc.) and, on non-digital meters, what the range is.

You discharge capacitors by connecting a resistor across the capacitor. Ideally there will be something there to discharge the cap on turn-off already, but sometimes you'll need to add it.

Try a book called "The Art of Electronics" for some beginner pointers. And yes, on second or third thought, I think you may want to begin with a reasonably simple solid-state project before moving on to tubed gear.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back