Filter chokes as audio inductors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val_r

I am designing a Pultec MEQ5-style EQ, with a 2/3 H inductance in the low section (45 to 300Hz). What if I used a filter choke as the main inductor?

Any advice?

Thanks,

Val

:?:

What Jake said plus if it's non torroidal, you may have more hum pickup as torroids cancel hum better. But if your hum enviro is not harsh, you might not care. A shield might help if you do experience hum.

Also if you have a hum problem try orienting the inductor to null it out. This will usually work for your unit in isolation at least, but may lead to problems if you rack it near other field-emitting units.

> What if I used a filter choke as the main inductor?

Inductance goes down as current increases. Power-filter chokes are rated for a certain inductance AT a certain current. That current is usually much higher than anything we use in signal paths.

No good way to estimate the low-level inductance from the power-rated inductance. Low-level H might be 1.1 times higher or 3 times higher.

Buy a little small, measure it at typical signal level.

Hammond has some open and encapsulated power chokes, very easy to find. Some are rated 3H/100mA/86ohms, or 2.2H/50mA/305ohms, or better 4H/50mA/300ohms.
Allowing the use of paper-in-oil caps.
Did anyone use the metallized teflon caps produced by SCR (A French company)?

the link for the chokes is:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c0034.pdf

Thanks,

Val

:idea:

Latest posts

Back