Mackie 1604VLZ Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimclan

Hello-

I have a Mackie 1604VLZ that is exhibiting problems in what appears to be one or both of the main outs. Sometimes the left main gets really muddy and low to the point where it is at 20% of the other fully functioning side. In order to restore the sound to acceptable conditions, I raise the trim on one of the input channels and send a constant sound through it at high volume until the output 'spits' out an acceptable level.

I am about to take the mixer to a professional, but wanted to get an inside scoop from someone here that might be an expert. Should I just use some pot spray and some canned air on it?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Matt

I used to own a 1604 VLZ pro, but i have no idea about your problem specificly... HOWEVER, i have read somewhere (maybe gearslutz.com) about an internal ribbon cable being a culprit in these mixers for various problems.

hope this helps, if just a bit..

on a mix out issue, i found that the mix insert jacks in the back which never get used just need a little cleaning or cold solder joints on the jacks. when an idividual channel drops intermittantly, its usually the ribbon cables/ribbon connections.

check your insert jacks and your output jacks. I had a wackie a while ago and found that the jacks would corrode slightly. the higher audio level is actually burning through the corrosion and creating a passing signal for a while until the level goes down and the area corrodes again.

i had the same problem with mine a few weeks ago - the main out fader had contact problems on the left side - i replaced it with a new one.

but of course it could be the main inserts or the flat ribbon cables too - jst give it a quick check...

regards
christoph

some mackies also suffer from opamp failure as well as the ribbon cable issues.

Call their tech support (dont email) and they will email you a link and password to get to the schematics. If its the ribbon cable - needle them to send you a new one for free - they should do that.

That said, this is the exact reason why I avoid Mackie products. They really tend to break down because of riduculous reasons, and mackie does not take any responsibility for it because they want to charge you $65/hr plus shipping to have their tech work on it.

Latest posts

Back