Front Panel Designer - How to make custom thru holes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Family Hoof

Okay, so I understand HPGL and can make custom engravings, but what I really want to do is have some custom thru holes. Nothing fancy, just shapes that aren't circle, rectangle, or D. I tried using those three to make something new but it didn't work out well.

So, I'm assuming I need to create some macro elements. I notice the file extension is .fdm. What does fdm stand for and what software might I need to create/edit them?

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

With frontpanelexpress you can make
-drilled holes
-rectangular hole
-D hole
-cavitiy
-and new in V3.3: curved slot

As far as i know HPGL is only 2D (2 dimensional) which means you can place objects in the length and width NOT in the depth. So every drillings have to be done in frontpanelexpress.
If you want to make special holes which you can't do with the standard tools - that is a problem :? It is possible but schaeffer has to do special work which will cost much (around 80? i think) :evil:
I'd been told that a new feature will be implemented in the next version of frontpaneldesigner.
Macroelements are only informations about how standard drills or elemts are placed on the frontpanel. For expample... if you need an xlr hole with one hole in the middle and the 2 drillings for the screws... this can be macro element.

Try to use the standard objects. Maybe it is possible to make the cutout with different kinds of tools when they're superpose.

Or make HPGL files to use them as a border/frame and rasp the holes yourself.

Frank.

Back