Different tube pre topologies?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufo

What are the advantages/disadvantages/difference of using a solid state, discrete output stage instead of valves ( The G9 seems to fit the latter)? And what are the differences sonically?

What is the advantage/disadvantage/difference of having both input and output gain controls (G9), or just basic input control?

Very curious on this one, want to learn, this is the best place to ask I figure!! :grin:

arghh... i can answer the last one.

It's the same concept as on a valve guitar amp with both preamp and master volumes i believe.

By having input and output gain controls you can access different sonic/tonal qualities easier.

For example on a preamp, having the output gain turned up all the way then adjusting the input gain to get the appropriate levels will result in a much cleaner tone generally.

If you do the opposite however, by having the input turned all the way up and adjusting the output gain to get the appropriate levels you'll be driving the preamp much hard which results in a different sonic/tonal quality - generally overdrive or heading towards overdrive, thicker tones, etc.

advantages - you can hit the preamp hard yet not have a blazing hot signal out the other end.

What are the advantages/disadvantages/difference of using a solid state, discrete output stage instead of valves ( The G9 seems to fit the latter)? And what are the differences sonically?

The answer is difficult....
Try to test both and choose what you like. For me, sometimes i like tubes for warm harmonic sound and sometimes semiconductors for clear delicate sound. But this is a kind of design rather components. So, most of tube designs will give you a fat warm sound especially in midrange( not ever ) and transistor designs much deep attractive and delicate sound (not ever ofcourse).
Don't forget ofcourse that tubes can't give plenty of power insted transistors so, start thinking about speakers with high sensitivity.

Cheers

Dufo, if your serious, here's what you need in your preamp rack:

Top Shelf:
1 ea. Telefunken V76
1 ea. Telefunken V72
1 ea. Langevin AM-16
1 ea. API

Middle Shelf:
1 ea. Valley People Trans-Amp
1 ea. RCA BA-71
1 ea. Western Electric
1 ea. Redd 47

Bottom Shelf:
1 ea. Avalon Tube Pre
1 ea. Berhinger Joke Box
1 ea. Mackie 1202
1 ea. MXR Phase 90

:razz:

Any tube!

Very basic question: why put tubes in gear - if you only look at the tubes in a circuit what is it they do to the sound that pass though them??

every characteristic of a device can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your initial requirments

general observations: what is available?,what does the designer have experience with?, space, temperature boundaries, marketing strategies, repair issues, parts, reliability in that implementation,
solid state: cheap, small, cool temp, easy,
tube: one power supply, distortion characteristics, input impeadance, output impeadance, nostalgia, unique types,
just to give you an idea.

in any design process, all these questions need to be asked or you will hemorage time and money fixing.

sonically, the bigger differences will be in how you implement, not what you implement. you can hear the difference in a tube/solid state power amp, but the most striking difference I can hear is in the tube microphone. the key is to not ruin the signal somewhere. then most designs can rock.

Back