Les Paul wiring questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactus

i'm intrigued by the idea of replacing a les paul's 3-way with a 4-way (series-hum1-hum2-parallel).
plus, i'm also interested in bypassing the volume and tone pots.

has anyone done either of these mods?

thanks

The difference between series and parallel? -You mean the two humbuckers in series and the two humbuckers in parallel? Apart from futzing the impedance and a 6dB gain, it will mean that one of the pickup shields won't be ground any more... that might be a lot of noise...

There are bigger changes you can do, like single pole taps instead of tone controls etc...

Keith

I have a few guitars modded to make it possible to have the volume always at ten. Basically it is just a toggle bypassing the pots. It gives even a little more output then just tru the pot at 10.
This comes from back in the days where I used to hit these things (gtr that is) pretty heavy and so, when you accidentally hit the volume and it turns down to 8 or so, you loose the overmaxed out gainposition where it all happens. Also, I could have a kind of memoryposition to switch back to cleaner sounds by having the volume in and out. Way easier then trying to find the right spot when in 2handtapping stuff and arps all over the neck then putting it right where you want it. Easy mod but very usefull for speedy stageanimals :thumb:
Also an easy feedback killer when having too much gain to be healthy inbetween songs (as is the volumepot itself)

Tony.

Look for the L6 guitar schematic. It uses a rotary switch. Very cool sounding. I wound an inductor and wired a 6 way switch for a friends custom Baker guitar using the gibson L6 wiring. The big trick is finding humbuckers that will sound good with this setup. The Bill Larence humbuckers that were stock with the L6 sound very good wired this way.

found the link

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/L6S.htm

Latest posts

Back