16 ch summing + SSL Clone in same box?!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

higginsrob

Here is my idea. Make the SSL Clone in a 2U rack, but with 8 stereo ch. of analog summing before the comp. I?m new to DIY so I?m hoping some of you can help me along.

1. What clean, transparent gain stage should I use to boost the summed signal before it hits the compressor?
2. If I only use 1 of the 8 stereo inputs, will there be quality loss compared to the un-modified SSL Clone?

Thanks for feeding my addiction guys.

There are many generous souls here who are very happy to help, but first I suggest you look through the Meta-Meta for previous discussions about these subjects.

I would build two maybe even three boxes, you have more choices this way. The (Gyraf) SSL compressor is not the kind of compressor you would want on your 2-Bus all the time and even on the drum group you might prefer your fairchild depending on program material :)
The same goes for a (tube) amp stage, you might want to first experiment with different amp stages (tube/discrete/IC based) to find out what suits you best. But that's just my opinion, you might as well build one box and then customize it to your likes...

I would like to make a compression bypass switch for each stereo input in the summing circuit, then sum the compressed and uncompressed at the output.

I still have a lot to learn though, like should I place the bypass switch before or after the resistor in the first summing circuit? How is the impedence changing now that there are two input summing paths..... ehh I need to find a good book so I don't bother you guys with intro to electronics questions.

you would have to have 2 summing pairs then. One for compressed and one for uncompressed. the switches would have to be right after the inputs, to create equal versions, then from there you would carry on as usual.
as thre are different typs of summing box you would possibly also have to consider panning and level pots as well, which would also go before the switch... that was you keep the cost down with regard to the number of pots, and also the poles/decks of your switches...

Back