The "Father of British EQ", the "Mother Of Al

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

The "Father of British EQ", the "Mother Of All Engineers"

http://www.oram.co.uk/gms.html

Well, It's a big box... I wonder what that diplomat Mr Fletch thinks of it...

(dons fireproof suit!!!)

Keith

damn, with the small size of DIP packages these days you'd think you woudlnt need such a big box...

would be cool if there was some discrete thing in there but Id be suprised if there was based upon the company's history.

dave

Oram gear always looks home-made to me... There's a lot of bad-vibe out there about how well it works...

It looks like the kind of thing that any one of a dozen of our forum members could build twice as nice-looking, probably just as nice-sounding, if not better?

Keith

thats been out for a while. Oram gear has always gotten mixed reviews in circles around here. the main thing has been it sounds good but workmanship is shotty at best. I am bothered by the title father of british EQ if thats the case I am the father of surround micing a leslie. I know a few people who have oram boards and they swear by them but I have never used so I wouldn't know first hand. I would imagine it sounds good but not as good as they are charging for it which I think is like close to 7000.00 US.

I've used an Oram stereo mic pre several times at a studio I work at on occasion. It's OK, doesn't suck, doesn't take my breath away.

I have an Oram MWS 2Ch pre/eq. I would call it very good. It doesn't take my breath away either, but it is quite clean and usable with fairly nice EQ. I don't really plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

I do have some bad words to say about his Trident S-100 mixer though. I finally got rid of mine a couple of months ago and replaced it with some SCA pres. Admittedly, I've never used a real Trident, but I have to assume that they were nothing like the S-100. The mic pre's were foggy and EQ's simply sounded bad. I also had noise and hum problems, where I have never had them in any other piece of gear in this location. On top of that, I received it direct from te factory with a dead channel.

Come to think of it, my first MWS had oscillation problems and had to be sent back. I probably wouldn't pay $2000 for a 2Ch MWS again, but an octapre or octaEQ on ebay for $1000K is still quite a good deal.

-Chris

I find them flat and boring as compared to the trident pre's/eqs that I;ve used. Fairly similar in sound, but uninspiring. Anyway, I heard from an ex-Trident employee that Malcolm Toft got his eq circuit from a HiFi magazine! Oram only came on the scene later, if i am correctly informed. Mr Neve had been making gear for more than a decade before Tofty, I believe, so just How does that make Mr Oram the Father of British EQ? Until Trident outside of the fab desks made by the record companies(EMI/Pye/Decca), most records had been made on Helios and Cadac, and rarities such as Sound Techniques, With Neve being mostly in Broadcast early on. So where do Dick Swettenham, Clive Green, Rupert Neve, Cyril Jones, etc etc figure in his scheme of things? I would figure that someone like Mr Baxendall probably qualifies higher . . . . [/img][/i]

I think the FOBEQ claim comes from the EQ he designed for Vox in the 60's. Stupid claim either way.

The Oram Prayer

Our father
Who art in England
Hallowed be thy sound
Thy Eq comes
My Mix is done
On earth
But the sound is from heaven
Give us this day our midrange boost
And forgive us our phase-shifts
As we forgave those who have phase-shited before us
And lead us not in to distortion
As it's delivered to us from eBay
Your designs are the purest, the smartest, and most glorious (after Analag's)
For ever and ever,
Amen

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ThefatherofBritishEQ.jpg

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

chrissugar

of all the guys I have met in pro audio,
John oram is definately one of them...

I met a couple of years ago at AES in LA. he was rude to me and acted very cocky. The devil sign is pretty accurate IMO.

Hmm, that surprises me. I met him a couple of months ago at the Frankfurt Musikmesse, and he acted like a real British gentleman. He has a weird personal assistant, though. Her communicative skills were slightly below par, I would say.

Latest posts

Back