JBL 4320

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmintz

Is anybody familiar with these? I've been offered a pair of speakers that I'm about 90% sure are 4320s. They're pretty cheap but they're huge and very heavy. Are they any good? Do they compare with contemporary monitors?

Thanks.

Thanks guys. They're about five miles away - I'd go pick them up. Not by myself. I'm just wondering if they're worth the effort. I seem to remember a lot of people swearing by them and a lot of people swearing at them.

:green:

How much space do you have?
Nearest neighbor?

You might try the PSW forum. I think Bill Robinson or whatever his name is, hangs out there. He knows every nut and bolt on the JBL stuff.

[quote author="CJ"]How much space do you have?
Nearest neighbor?[/quote]

My nearest neighbor is my wife and she'd have something to say about them if the guy paid me to take them. I'm wondering if they're worth going there for.

:green:

Kev knows a lot about spks, but he's listening to crickets or some weird thing.

"However, JBL?s strongest reputation as an audiophile brand is in Japan, which has enormous respect for hi-fi heritage and tradition.

For about 60 years, JBL has been one of the top names in audio.

Back in the 1940s, James B. Lansing left Western Electric (where he led the team that brought sound to movies) to start JBL. The company's first product, the D130, is still used by audio professionals more than 50 years later.

In the 1950's, as rock 'n' roll was born, JBL became the clear leader in studio and theater sound. Life magazine called the JBL Hartsfield the "dream speaker" for the amazing new world of hi-fi.

In the 1960s, JBL introduced the legendary 4320, which becomes the definitive studio monitor of the Space Age. JBL's sound-reinforcement transducers became standard equipment at large-scale rock concerts across the country, including Woodstock.

In 1976, a Billboard magazine survey ranked JBL studio monitors Number One. JBL professional technology came home with the L-100, a consumer version of the 4300 Series, one of the best-selling speakers of the decade. Michael Marcus, Chief Geek of the TekHouse, was audio/video of Rolling Stone magazine back then. After Michael wrote that the waffle-faced L-100 speaker can "knock you on your ass," JBL said they sold 10,000 pairs of speakers because of his comment. Michael has several pairs of JBLs in his own home, has used them in custom installations for others, and is pleased to recommend them to his online customers. '

1960's
JBL introduces the 4320, a four way precision monitor with high frequency compression driver and acoustic lens. It becomes the definitive recording studio monitor of the next decade. As large scale concert systems evolve, JBL sound reinforcement transducers continue to enhance their reputation for accuracy and reliability...and history at some of the 60's most famous rock festivals."

I saw some JBL monitors in Andy's garage that makes the 4320's look like bookshelf speakers, so don't stress the space problem. And like I said, big bucks in Japan if the drivers aren't cooked.

[quote author="CJ"]Kev knows a lot about spks, but he's listening to crickets or some weird thing.[/quote]
yeah I'm here

I'm back on the Cricket nights next week but the next two I have hand-balled to one of my staff.
I don't do night shift well at all .... :cry:

JBL - 4320
throws back to the 1970's
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4320.pdf
OLD woofer 2215 ... big long throw and meaty (for it's time)
the newer 2225/2226 carried on what was started here

Horn 2420 ... again old and big ... response down very low which makes the two way workable. This unit has the scatter lense.
12 dB per octave x'over

You either like scatter lenses or you don't. Does give wider coverage and a softer feel but hasn't the stereo image of a Constant Directivity ... CD flare

BIG and EFFICIENT ... DYNAMIC and BRASH ... I do like 'em
BUT
I prefer the latter models with the BUM Flare. same idea and has the 225/226 woofer and a titanium horn. ... might be 18 dB per octave x'overs
EDIT
nope ...still 12
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf
biggest problem is the off axis resp ... look top the charts for 30 and 40 degrees (this is where the lense seems to work better BUT pahes resp is unpredicatable - image gets lost)
but on axis these things are ... IN YOUR FACE
play it loud OK
:green: :green: :green:

If they are cheap and close to home ... could be good for STUDIO monitoring.

JBL - L4320
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/l100.htm
we have a few around here ... smaller sizes 12 and 10 ... like the 4311
you can still get drivers from various sources and I do think they sound OK
BUT
it's an late 70's thing ... soft in the top end and quite compfortable to listen to for long periods of time.
If you know these things well you can do a mix ... just like knowing NS10's
The foam around the tweeter will perish ... probably already has ...
Paper surrounds on the woofer and mid make these drivers hang together for a very long time.

Good solid box but might be a thing of the past.
I'd buy a pair with the ultimate idea of finding moder replacement drivers for a retro DIY project in the future.

Speakers are always a compromise and trade off of verious factors.
Both these speaker breads are old skool ... and I'm a bit old skool.

:shock:

none of that helps much ... does it ?

I used a pair of JBL 4333 monitors for about 5 years in the early eightys.
Same 15 and 2420/lens setup as the 4320. They are very clean and can get loud if need be. The sound could be a little tighter and the horns do not sound like the wooden horns in westlakes but not a bad monitor for
the old days.

GARY

Thanks for your help everyone. Now I'm finding out these speakers are probably 4333s. I'll probably get them and hold onto them until I have a space.

> James B. Lansing left Western Electric (where he led the team that brought sound to movies) to start JBL.

It is a lot more complicated than that. Lansing did not lead the talking-movie team; he was the guy who made good speakers instead of good theory. He was not a great leader and a worse businessman; his companies failed several times. At one point he did not own his own name; lost in a buy-out.

> The company's first product, the D130, is still used by audio professionals more than 50 years later.

Harmoon seems to have abandoned the D130/E130 design, but it sure was the killer go-to speaker for decades. There was a less-screamy PA model of the same parameters; 2220 or something like that. 8% Theile efficiency; no other cone makes so much noise per watt. The 130 cone shape lives on in the miniature Fostex FE-103. It and its cut-down find markets in PC speakers, and ironically I think some are sold under the JBL logo.

> I've been offered a pair of speakers that I'm about 90% sure are 4320s. They're pretty cheap...

As everybody says: old-school (I would say medium-old-school; not A-7 or 604) and now old/tattered. I would not use these as Reference speakers: you can make a mix sound GREAT on the big JBL monitors that won't work well on any other speaker. If in 98% perfect condition, you might throw them in the studio as band playback: they are not inaccurate and will get LOUD.

[quote author="PRR"]
Harmoon seems to have abandoned the D130/E130 design, but it sure was the killer go-to speaker for decades. [/quote]

By coincidence I am having lunch tomorrow with Rich May, son of Ed May who was one of the great JBL transducer designers. Rich worked for several audio companies including Harman and was at Miller & Kreisel before his recent retirement.

Another driver I loved when I was growing up was the LE-8. Many innovations in that beauty.

Back