Looks like an easy reverse engineer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear

At least for someone smarter than me. Doesn't look like there's any intent to market it or kits:

http://hamptone.com/tapeop2005.htm

Bear

I see an OPA251, which is a slo-mo OA. 0.01 slew rate.

I see a vactrol, 6 transistors, and a voltage reg (attached to pin 7 (= V+) of the OA). Must be discrete handling of the signal. Prolly not too different from the FF opto project here, I'd guess. But that's a guess...

Peace!
Charlie

Well, I went to TapeOp, built the kit, and have the schematic. However, it wouldn't really be my place to give it out (as Scott created it specifically for TapeOpCon). But, I can tell you that it probably is not worth your while to make this circuit.

First of all, Scott designed this circuit to be as simple and cheap as possible so that a group of probably more than 100 (many first-timers) could build it in an hour or two for less than $20. This, as Scott has admitted himself, necessitated many compromises in design. In other words, the project was meant to teach the group about compressors- not create one that was "top notch." While I haven't listened to mine yet, Scott said that "it sounds pretty good for what it is." My recommendation would be that, if you want to go through the effort of reverse engineering a design (or even building one), there are probably hundreds of better choices. It's kind've like "Why build a bicycle from scratch when you have the complete instructions and parts for a Porsche?"

Anyway, do as you like. Just my two cents...

Well, Dan probably indirectly confirms that it'd be easy to reverse, but raises the question of whether it is worth reversing. I dunno, haven't heard one. There are certainly known opto projects of quality out there already, but the pics were so clear I thought I'd point them out.

BTW, I friggin' love his housings - look like old Telefunken/Siemens gear. Anyone got an idea of where those could be scored?

Bear

No problem. It was a great time...I highly recommend it. Scott Hampton is a great guy as well- extremely helpful and very friendly.

[quote author="Bear"]but the pics were so clear I thought I'd point them out.[/quote]
Good eye, good call!

BTW, I friggin' love his housings - look like old Telefunken/Siemens gear. Anyone got an idea of where those could be scored?

[quote author="Hamptone"]I found a rack panel with modules at a surplus store years ago, and this was the perfect use for it.[/quote]

How about Mouser part # 574-EFP164A66 or 563-AC-1405 and add the plate?

HTH!
Charlie

Problem with the Schrof stuff is that I could never get the back plates without D sub connectors...
You could always buy a half width rack Hammond and mount it vertically

Silonex has some theory along with a fairly simple compressor here: http://www1.silonex.com/audiohm/compressor.html

Hi Guys,

I spoke to Scott prior to Tape Op Con and it sounded like there is a good
chance the design will end up in a Tape Op mag in future, like his Pre and
DI did, but who knows...

Scott is working on a full-fledged Opto Comp with advanced metering,
sidechain etc which will be available as a kit, much like the Pre?s, so his
Tape Op one I feel was just a teaser, lets wait for the kit and see what
happens.

Cheers

Matt

bit off subject but does anybody know anything about those (eurorack?) cassets that guy using? like where to get them?

cheers in advance

Back