Moving an Echoplate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greetings all,

I'm looking at buying an Echoplate and would like to know what's involved in stabilizing them for moving (only a few blocks). I've seen info on moving EMT's, but not Echoplates. Any info greatly appreciated

Thanks,

RD

i think it was Jrmintz that moved an emt down a flight of stairs with his co-workers. dont know if they moved it out of the building or just to the basement. but he would probably give you some insight on how heavy, what kind of bracing you should expect.

goodluck.

taylor

I bought an ecoplate recently.

Here is thge information Jim Cunningham (designer of ecoplate) sent me with regards to moving it

Before transporting the unit:
1. Open the box but removing the side that the reverb time indicator points to. Tie the damping plate to that it is closed (lowest reverb time) with a heavy wire.
2. Loosen the tension by about two counterclockwise turns on the two top and two side (either side) nuts.
3. Remove the voice coil magnet and wrap it so that if dropped the ceramic structure is not broken.
4. During transport keep the unit upright at all times.
You will need to retension the unit when it reacnes its final destination. The soothest decay occures when the plate is under equal tension. Do not over tighten the plate or you may exceed the elastic limit of the steel, thereafter making it impossible to achive perfect tension. We shipped the unit with a tension gauge to avoid this possibility. Hopefully it is still with the unit.
When the unit has reached its destination:
Be sure to remove the damping plate restrction and re-tension the plate. Before re-installing the magnet be sure the voice coil is in the exact center of the hole in the magnet mounting plate. If it is not loosen the 4 screws holding it and certer it, finally re-tighten those 4 screws.

That's basically the same procedure as moving an EMT. You're stabilizing the plate - moving the damper tight up against the steel sheet - by setting the reverb time to its shortest setting and locking the damper in place. Good luck and be careful - I'm not sure about ecoplates, but EMTs are very, very heavy. Make sure you have enough guys.

I'm not sure about ecoplates, but EMTs are very, very heavy. Make sure you have enough guys.

There were 3 of us when I picked up my plate, & an extra man would have been useful. Also a furniture moving dolly (board on wheels) made things much easier.

Also on the echolplate (& EMT`s) there are 2 eyes on each end that you can put an iron bar/tube through to help lifting. Th diamenter of the bar tube should be no more tha 3/4" or else it won`t fit through the eye.

Latest posts

Back