Group buy--Nickel Lamination for Mic Trafos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

Hey gang,

Here is the deal. I called Mag Metals to inquire about 2425EE8014 lamination for trafos--fit those from Chinese microphones. They cost $33.95 per pound and minimum order is $100. From their website it seems that there are 466 pcs in a pound. Huh, it would take me a few lives to use three pounds. Anybody wants to join me?

http://www.magmet.com/lamination/eeindex.html

Chris could you check if the 2425EE8014 is the best option?

Thats a good p/n Marik.
Thats the Super Q 80 which is supposed to be good.
You could try the .006 thickness, but I dont know if they have stock.
I can get a sample if you want.
A sample is a two inch stack, which will make about 8 tran sformers.
Let me know.
They also stamp cobalt!
cj :guinness:

I am interested . But what with plastic bobines? Copper foil?
It is hard to diy them:))
Also, 0.006 maybe more interesting.

I emailed them with the same pn a few days ago and did not get an email back. I think the part number I found was 25EI8014. Do they stamp amorphous???????????

I was thinking of a DIY kit for the china microphones. Some caps and good lams. The TCM1050 uses the same size lams just more of them. I want to relam my two modded nadys.

I'd definately be interested, the cost of transformers has put me off on building a few things. Would these work for anything else besides mics?

Also has anyone compiled enough information on some of these transformers in order to make good sounding reproductions?

Pardon the possibly silly question, but are you just replacing the lams in a stock china mic transformer?Or are you making new transformers up from the dirt? I'm interested thats for sure.

ikiru,

The idea is just to replace the lams in the chinese xformers.

CJ,

Have you posted results on the Dukane lams in the chinese xformer? Please forgive me if i have missed that post.

Sons, I did an inductance curve and it improved the inductance by almost 100 percent.
Better bottom would be expected, as well as maybe some better overall tone.
Have to wait and see what Gus says.
BTW, the API input would be one of the easier xfmr's to DIY.
Why?
Nylon bobbin, no insulation, just mylar tape, random winding, and we have the lams.
cj

[quote author="Gus"]What would be better about EE lams over EI lams???
[/quote]

No idea. Just saw Chris putting Dukane stuff into your trafo.

Do they stamp amorphous???????????

They have amorphous, but won't stamp it, as it is too brittle, as they said.

It seems that they don't have 0.006, but will double check and let you know.

I was talking there to Guenter Finke. He told that cobald is no good for audio and way too expensive.

Now, let's do it organized. First of all, I need quantities you guys need. Since they sell it by pound, it would be harder, however, to calculate total quantity and prices if you need let's say 40, or 100 pieces. I guess I will need to get a scale, as well, so it would be less time consuming to sort before shipping. Any ideas which scale and where to get it?

Give me your email addresses. Payments can be made by Paypal, or MO.
My email is:

markfuksman(at)comcast.net

Anything I missed?

Mag Metals will stamp out Cobalt in any dimension.
Mu metal might be a little heavier.
I bet there are many comercial users of Mag Metals lams.

I want to try an input with .006 thick cobalt lams and total interleaving, that is one layer pri, one layer sec, all the way up.
This would probably produce a killer transformer.
I do not know of anybody using the .006 stuff. Very expensive and hard to work with.

:guinness: :sam: :guinness:

At the tab funkenwerk site. There is a little bit about Oliver having a run of cobalt alloy made for the v7xs transfomers and chokes.

Oliver having that done makes me take notice!

Remember you need to think about the signal level to pick the transformer core alloy you might want.

[quote author="cjenrick"]I want to try an input with .006 thick cobalt lams and total interleaving, that is one layer pri, one layer sec, all the way up.
This would probably produce a killer transformer.
I do not know of anybody using the .006 stuff. Very expensive and hard to work with.[/quote]

That will give you some work.

Does Cobalt have a lower or higher AL?

Many layers may be needed for a mic input trannie secondary if it´s lower AL. Very curious about the results.

Doesn´t Lundahl does it in some of their trannies?

Latest posts

Back