Gates Sta-Level part?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronmr20

Hi All!

I was referred here from the Gearslutz forum. A friend is helping me restore/ refurb an original Gates Sta-Level. We pretty much have all the parts, including the had to find NOS compression tubes. We need an input transformer! Any ideas where to get a good one that won't break the bank?

Also, do we really need to go NOS on the 6L6 tubes? Will Groove Tubes sound good?

Any other suggestions on making her sound great are welcomed.

[quote author="astronmr20"]
Also, do we really need to go NOS on the 6L6 tubes? Will Groove Tubes sound good?
[/quote]

depending upon which tube you find you could very well spend less on an old 6l6 that will be way more awesome than ANYTHING new. Everyone has their opinion about groove tubes, here's mine- for the premium you pay for the paint they apply to the same tube everyone else is selling, stay away.

dave

[quote author="astronmr20"]Hi All!

I was referred here from the Gearslutz forum. A friend is helping me restore/ refurb an original Gates Sta-Level. We pretty much have all the parts, including the had to find NOS compression tubes. We need an input transformer! Any ideas where to get a good one that won't break the bank?

Any other suggestions on making her sound great are welcomed.[/quote]

IIRC, the Sta-Level uses 6V6's in the output. I don't have my schematic handy, and it's been a while......

yep 6V6.

Sta_Level.jpg

You want a input with two coil construction so your dcr is balanced. those pots will help a little, but betterr not to have an inbalance. UTC makes balanced x-formers. Jensen does not. Lundahl does. Triad does not.
Peerless does.

Hi, do not want to create a new topic then,..
Does somebody know a good provider for sta level meters (original look) ?.. I know don audio but how to say...150€ for a panel meter is a "little bit" expensive i think. You find great simpson vu meters for 20€ on ebay, but i need 7 of them at a good price, if it exist

Thank  you.

Why not using a current production meter and changing the scale ? You could print out new scales with the gates logo

beatnik said:
Why not using a current production meter and changing the scale ? You could print out new scales with the gates logo
Yes i'm interrested, doi you know any distributor ?
Thank you for your answer

http://www.canford.co.uk/ stocks a good range of sifam vu meters but if you need seven of them  you can try asking sifam directly maybe get them custom made for you. i don't know if they have a minimum order but it's worth to ask

Latest posts

Back