matta

Completed Channel Strip (Pics)
« on: June 30, 2005, 05:30:30 PM »
It is finished! Behold the Ghetto Rack, master of low cost DIY and sucky metal work, but boy does it sound sweet  :thumb:

I have been working on this for far too long. The initial plan was to build a channel strip comprising of a Green Pre, What Compressor and Calrec Eq, each with independent I/O that could be patched through a Patch Bay.

After building one V14 Green Pre with better quality parts from my prototypes I decided I just had to have a pair and so the channel strip is now a pair of Greens and a Calrec Eq, and the Comp was lost.

The electronics were the easy part! My metal working skills suck, so pardon the homebrew front panel? I couldn?t spring for the cost of an engraved panel, but kind of think it looks retro this way.

I must thank you all for your support, I could not have done this without your help, guidance and willingness to share. I want to thank Peter C for the boards and flury of e-mail responses to my questions and 2 dear friends, Fabio and Nino for their support in the creation of a channel strip.
There are too many other to name, but you know who you are :thumb:

Cheers

Matt

Matt Allison
www.matt-allison.com

We are not going to start thinking of ways to get an octopus to commit a crime, cause that just has failure written all over it – Earl J Hickey

radiance

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 05:34:48 PM »
Very nice job! I love those big latching buttons (if that's what they are :oops: ). It's all very colorfull.....
"Knowing that you are dreaming, however, does not automatically guarantee full rationality.
Then again, being awake doesn't ensure good thinking, either." -  Lynne Levitan

Ptownkid

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 05:36:20 PM »
Nice work Matt!!!

matta

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 05:41:50 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words. Radiance, they are indeed latching switcheswit some good old Red Buttons, they came out of an old MCI tape machine I think, I got them and the board from Peter C who had it lying around.

I drilled oversize holes to get them through the panel and then picked up some galvanised washers and glued them to the panel to make the buttons look a bit more elegant and to cover up my bad metal work :green:

Cheers

Matt
Matt Allison
www.matt-allison.com

We are not going to start thinking of ways to get an octopus to commit a crime, cause that just has failure written all over it – Earl J Hickey

radiance

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »
Quote from: "matta"

.....I drilled oversize holes to get them through the panel and then picked up some galvanised washers and glued them to the panel to make the buttons look a bit more elegant and to cover up my bad metal work :green:

Cheers

Matt

90% of DIY is this kind of stuff....

now it looks even better :thumb:
"Knowing that you are dreaming, however, does not automatically guarantee full rationality.
Then again, being awake doesn't ensure good thinking, either." -  Lynne Levitan

chrissugar

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 07:49:45 PM »
Nice box.  :thumb:

chrissugar
Christian Mike Sugar
        CMS-LAB

peterc

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 02:25:39 AM »
Go Matt!

Matt is talking up a DIY storm in Cape Town at the moment. Keep it up Bru.

Peter :cool:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Bauman

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 11:20:28 AM »
Nice Matt!!
How move on to the next ones !!!!  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

:guinness:
Fabio
cheers!
Fabio

mfdu

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 05:46:27 AM »
did a search for the what compressor, cuase i just got the boards.

gotta sat, i dig your box!!

chris.
M.F.D.U. Audio

Will record for whiskey.

matta

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 11:17:54 AM »
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the kind words. That Box is going strong and am loving it. I don't use the EQ as much as I had hoped,  but not done alot of mixing of late, so hopefully in the future.

Most of my time is spent making these boxes, need to spend more time using them  :thumb:

I got an SSL Comp of the way and then an 1176,  this is addictive.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Allison
www.matt-allison.com

Mark Burnley

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 08:11:58 AM »
Quote from: "matta"

Most of my time is spent making these boxes, need to spend more time using them  :thumb:

Ha! How true!!

Nice work Matt, and that sounds like just the beginning...

:grin:

Mark
O_O tape is life O_O

Aryuserius?

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 08:41:53 PM »
I was just wondering on this channel strip, where exactly does the Calrec EQ circuit get inserted?

I was thinking of building a 1272 with the Calrec EQ.   My guess is it would go after the BA183 output and before the Output transformer.  

Of course I'm wrong all of the time...Just ask my wife!!

Mike

JustinS

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 09:00:40 PM »
Hey Mike - your BA183 needs to go straight to the o/p transformer... there's a bunch of DC & a feedback loop going on there (or something like that  :grin: ) that needs the gapped transformer to work properly.

So the Calrec would go after the transformer.  You may find it a little difficult combining those 2 in a box - the Neve needs 24v DC & the Calrec is +/- 15-18v DC I think!

Justin

Aryuserius?

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 09:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the quick response JustinS!

After further thought...Perhaps it would be best before the preamp circuit?  Otherwise wouldn't I be entering the Calrec with too hot of a signal?  

Agreed that it would be tight in one box!  Perhaps the power supply would have to be outside the box.   I'm really just brainstorming right now as I have just built my first dual 1272.  

The thought being that the Calrec looks much easier than the 1073 or 1081 type eq to build.  thus I could still have a [email protected]@ish pre with a 4 band parametric at a fraction of the cost. And hopefully fewer headaches.

Mike