Meta-Electronics 101-Part 2: A C Theory

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
his is a meta-thread, made to allow you to keep track of the posts concerning this single issue - I will continue re-editing this first post.

- All should be contained in this first post - which is re-edited regularily.

- Everyone is welcome to reply with comments and pointers to things they consider relevant. This will be copy/pasted into the first post.

- On a regular basis, we delete all posts but the first, and bumps it to the top.
-----

This will be an attempt at a basic, easy to understand electronics course. Feel free to contribute suggestions.

This section will cover A C theory, including capacitance and inductance.

(Building a thread, this is just a header so I have a page to edit. cj)

OK times up. Gimme gimme gimme! :twisted:

Seriously, I read your other 101 post and I thought it was great. Thanks for compiling all that. :thumb: I never had any formal training on any of this stuff, so this messageboard has been great. If the books didn't bore me to tears, I would probably just read up on this stuff that way, but eh. All the properties of electricity still have my head spinning a bit (especially how it affects audio signals), but I'm slowly chewing off bits of knowledge.

Here are some tutorials I found on the web.

I'll post them here even tho there are others in addition to the AC theory one.

http://www.opamp-electronics.com/tutorials

i'll check out those links....

still, can't wait for the ac theory cj! reading the 101 about 8 times got me ready to read this opamp book i found, so finally starting to put some things together over here.

103 should be basic tube circuits! (or is that jumping ahead?)

billy

Another site that has info not only about AC circuits, but also some tube info including a USA to European Tube conversion section

enjoy ;^)

http://www.hans-egebo.dk/index.htm

I did a search for this to make sure it was not posted earlier. A very nice site with lots and lots of good information.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/

Denny

Hey CJ, whenever you get a free moment, it would be great to see your AC tutorial. The 101 tutorial you posted was a perfect refresher course after high school physics (it's been a while - I had forgotten most of it). I'm really excited to start learning more about how circuits actually work instead of just building kits. All of your hard time in putting together these tutorials is much appreciated!! Thanks.

Ok CJ I wanna read some more... I read the 101 several months ago and I request you post more for us future wizards to learn more! Learn! Learn! Teach!! Teach!! I for one enjoyed 101. Now we need the next chapters.
You left off just when the Damsel flung her body into the sea... And she was HOT!

I think after 4392 views you have some groupies!

And my moto is ya can't fix it unless you know how it works.

And we are not yet to higher end stuff like scopes and waveforms etc. God willing CJ will do it. So don't chime in if you are well equipped and don't need the knowledge! Thanks again CJ !! This is for us folks that wanna learn something!! He did a fantastic job on 101!

finally working on this meta  ::)                                  AC Theory

This will be very basic AC theory for the beginner.

Type of electrical currents-

DC current -  like a battery provides
AC current - like your wall socket
Pulsating DC current - like on the high voltage power supply in your guitar amp

There are other types of currents, but these are the ones that we see most.

AC current is just like DC current in that if you flip the polarity of a battery,
You will create an AC signal.
It will be a square wave because of the abrupt change in voltage.

If you use a generator to provide electricity, it will be in the form of a sine wave.
This is the most common type of AC current as it is used all over the world to supply power.

The reason AC current is used for power is that transformers will not run on DC.
Transformers are used to transmit power in a cheaper fashion than using a fixed voltage DC.
If you step up the voltage at the power plant, you can step down the current.
Stepping down the current means cheaper wire can be used for power lines.

Reference Points -

DC reference points include the negative terminal on your car battery,
the star ground you have on your mic preamp, the cap on the end of your flashlight, or the chassis ground on your schematic diagram.
You need a place to clip the black wire coming out of your volt meter and the ground point on whatever you are working on is the most common reference point when dealing with DC.

AC reference points might include the neutral wire inside your circuit breaker panel,
or the neutral on the 3 phase generator at the power plant.
If you are talking about electronics instead of electricity, then the AC reference point might be the star ground of your your Pultec equalizer, or the case of your LA2a compressor.

This images shows the different types currents.
Reference for all the currents is the black center line.

Attachments

• Types_of_current.jpg
    Types_of_current.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 14
                          Wavelength and Frequency

Simple to understand, just read the definitions-

Crest - the high point of a wave
Trough - the low point in a wave
Wavelength - is measured from crest to crest or trough to trough
Frequency - the number of complete waves that past a given point in 1 second
(To find, number of waves/the time = frequency)
Amplitude - the height of the wave from baseline to crest.
Baseline - the resting point of the wave (middle between crest and trough.

AC Power

Since the voltage and current are always going up and down in an AC circuit, it is a lot harder to figure out how much power is being used than with a DC circuit.

In fact, it takes Calculus to figure it out.

All you really need to know is that the heat generated by an AC source into a load resistance will equal the Average Power of that circuit. 

RMS

Everybody has heard of RMS power, because we do not want to get ripped off at the car stereo store.

RMS stands for Root Mean Square.

Root Mean Square comes from the math operations done to compute power.

To compute power you multiply the voltage by the current.

But voltage and current are always changing in an AC circuit.

Now if you add up the area underneath a sine wave curve, you will have the RMS value of that curve.
If it is a voltage curve, that value will be RMS voltage.
If you measure the area underneath the current curve, this will be your RMS current.
Calculus is used to compute the exact area under the sine wave.

Multiply RMS voltage by RMS current and you will get your Average Power.

Why do the stereo stores call it RMS power?
It is kind of a sales pitch buzz word that got introduced in the 60's as a way to make the sales geek sound like a tech head
If you say Root Mean Square, it sounds like you know what your talking about.
Average Power, kind of boring compared to Root Mean Square

If you have a complex waveform like that found in an audio signal, then the average power will be changing all the time.

Hook the audio signal into a resistor and measure the heat.
This will be your Average Power for that audio signal.
It will be changing all the time unless you like listening to constant sine waves.  :D

Attachments

• Sine_wavelength.svg.jpg
    Sine_wavelength.svg.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 8
                          Capacitors

Just a little math,  :-\

6.241 × 10^18 electrons

That is a lot of electrons. We call that a Coulomb of electrons.

Pronounced Cool Ohm, like an ohm who smoked a joint.  8)

If you pass one of these cool ohms thru a wire in one second, you have an Ampere.

But the first capacitor probably held a lot less charge than a cool ohm, because it was simply a glass of water with a coat hanger stuck into it, with some crazy guy named Ewald Georg von Kleist, who back in 1745, thought it would be cool to mix water and electricity. (what an idiot )  ;D,
von Kleist charged up the water, via the coat hanger and electrical generator.
His right hand was wrapped around the jar, his left hand had the generator ground, and he probably had a friend plug in the generator which was connected to the coat hanger, which was submersed in the jar.
So the glass jar was the insulator, his right hand was one plate of the capacitor, and the water was the other plate.So you disconnect the generator , and reach over with your left hand and touch the coat hanger, and Zap!
Cardiac arrest. No, jus kidin, but he felt a mild shock.

Little did von Kleist know that some Dutch guy had a similar but improved version of the von Kleist jar going on at the same time.
Pieter van Musschenbroek of Leiden (Leyden) had foil wrapped around the jar instead of his hand.
A lot smarter idea in my opinion.

So foil on the inside of the jar, foil on the outside, the glass jar as insulator, and Viola!, insta capacitor.

Now if you keep increasing the voltage while you are charging up the jar, more cool ohms of electrons, or charge, will flow onto the plates.
So for the same size plates, the more voltage you apply, the more cool ohms you will store.

So we have voltage, and we have electrons, therefore, we have kind of battery.

Now the smaller the plates for the same amount of charge means the higher the voltage between those plates.
This is because you have electrons stacked up on each other which creates a stronger space charge.

There is a relationship then, between the Capacitor and the charge and voltage.

We can define this relationship with a little more math,  :-[  as

Capacitance = q/V

where q is charge in cool ohms, and V is the voltage between the plates.

The SI unit of capacitance is the farad; 1 farad is 1 coulomb per volt.

We mostly use a much smaller value than the Farad, called the micro farad, unless you are pimpin out your ride with a sub woffer.  ;D

Notice that 1 cool ohm divided by 1 volt equals 1000 cool ohms divided by 1000 volts,

and both equal 1 Farad.

so Capacitance is just a ratio. Not an energy measurement.

It is a ratio between how much charge on the plates is going to equal how much voltage between those plates.

Or, you could read it the other way and say that Capacitance is how much voltage will be needed on the plates to store a certain amount of charge.
The higher the Capacitance, the less voltage will be needed on the plates to needed to store the same amount of charge.

This voltage=charge aspect of the capacitor brings rise to a saying that describes the capacitor, we say that

A capacitor has the ability to resist a change in voltage.

In other words, if you jack up the voltage on a cap, it will absorb the electrons and thus keep the voltage down on the line until it can not store any more.

The time it takes for a cap to absorb charge and raise the voltage to a value of about 70.7 percent of the total voltage applied is called 1 time constant.

The time it then takes to rise up  another 70.7 percent chunk of the remaining voltage differential is called 2 time constants.

If you add a resistor in series with the cap, it will slow down the charging rate.

The RC time constant then becomes simply, R times C, R in ohms, C in Farads.

Example:  1 ohm times 1 Farad = 1 Second

Now this ratio can be changed for a capacitor having a fixed plate area.
You can move the plates closer and the capacitance ratio goes up.
So for the same voltage, you will store more charge for the same plate area.

This relationship reads like this>

C=A/d

where A is plate area and d is the distance between the plates.

There is one last trick to these capacitors, the area between the plates.

It turns out that if you stick something other than air between the plates, the capacitance goes up.

This something is called the Dielectric.

A dielectric is an electrical insulator that can be polarized by an applied electric field. When a dielectric is placed in an electric field, electric charges do not flow through the material, as in a conductor, but only slightly shift from their average equilibrium positions causing dielectric polarization. Because of dielectric polarization, positive charges are displaced toward the field and negative charges shift in the opposite direction. This creates an internal electric field which reduces the overall field within the dielectric itself. If a dielectric is composed of weakly bonded molecules, those molecules not only become polarized, but also reorient so that their symmetry axis aligns to the field.

In other words, a capacitor will work better if the stuff in between the plates have some mojo going on as far as increasing the electric field between the plates. You can equate this dielectric with the different core materials you find in a transformer, different materials for different applications.
A dielectric has something called a dielectric constant, which is the factor by which it increases capacitance when used between the plates. Transformer lams have a similar number attached to them, permeability.

You have heard of electrolytic capacitors,  right?
An electrolytic capacitor works well in that a slight voltage will store a bunch of electrons, making it useful in a power supply since it can absorb more charge per volt than a small  radio frequency capacitor.

"Lytics" as they are sometimes called, use a conductive liquid in between the plates, thus requiring special construction to prevent a short circuit.
This liquid, or electrolyte, greatly increases the Capacitance of the cap.
Here is how they are built>

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors are constructed from two conducting aluminum foils, one of which is coated with an insulating oxide layer, and a paper spacer soaked in electrolyte. The foil insulated by the oxide layer is the anode while the liquid electrolyte and the second foil acts as the cathode. This stack is then rolled up, fitted with pin connectors and placed in a cylindrical aluminum casing. The two most popular geometries are axial leads coming from the center of each circular face of the cylinder, or two radial leads or lugs on one of the circular faces.

So electrolytic caps work great, but unlike all of the other types of caps, you have to observe correct polarity.
Reverse polarity will cause the cap to explode in some cases, so be careful!
:eek:

Attachments

• FirstCap.jpg
    FirstCap.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 41
                        Inductance

If you hold the end of a bar magnet up to a small piece of paper, you will be passing magnetic lines of flux thru one side of the paper and back out the other.
They will go back into the opposite pole of the magnet.

If you have a certain amount of these lines of flux, we call that a Weber.

Nobody really knows how many lines of flux are in a weber, because a line of flux is just a theoretical way of looking at the magnetic field. Nobody has ever seen a magnetic field. We have seen the effects of a magnetic field, but that is about it.
Is a real magnetic field composed of a bunch of individual lines? Probably not.

But we can equate the Weber with the the mathematical physics of the universe, if we want to study magnetism.

Lets say a magnet has 10 webers of flux lines coming out of it.
And lets say the magnet is 1" by 1" or 1 square inch.

How many lines of magnetic flux do we have per square inch?
We have 10 webers per square inch.

What if a 10 weber  magnet was 2" by 2"?
We would have a 4 sq inch magnet, so flux density will be

10 Webers /4 Sq Inches  = 2.5 webers per square Inch

So increasing the size of the magnet lowers the flux density.

How strong is the magnet?
That depends on the flux density.
The higher the flux density, the stronger the magnet.

How do we measure magnetic strength?
We simply equate it with flux density.

But we need a name for this number, we do not just want to say that a magnet has a flux density of 57.3, we say it has a flux density of 57.3 Teslas.

How many webers per square inch are in 1 tesla?
It does not come in webers per square inch, it comes like this>

1 Weber per Square Meter  = 1 Tesla

Sometimes people us the Gauss as the unit of magnetic strength.

1 Gauss = 1 Maxwell per Square Centimeter, the Maxwell just being like the weber, both representing a certain number of magnetic flux lines.
Conversion from Teslas to Gauss>

1 Tesla = 10,000 Gauss

So we have the Weber and the Maxwell representing the amount of magnetic flux lines,

And we have the Tesla and the Gauss representing the density of these flux lines.

Pick your favorite system, square centimeters or square meters.

Faraday's Law

Michael Faraday noticed that the rate at which the magnetic field changes has an effect on the amount of current or voltage that is induced in a wire.
Faraday's Law for an uncoiled conductor states that

Voltage generated by a magnetic field is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.

All this says is that the faster you spin a magnet inside a current loop, the more voltage you will generate.

One of the formulas for inductance is

v =L di/dt

v is induced ac voltage
L is inductance
di/dt is the change in current with time,
or the derivative of the current graph for any math geeks out there,

Lenz's Law

Soon after Faraday proposed his law of induction, Heinrich Lenz developed a rule for determining the direction of the induced current in a loop.

Lenz's law states that

A magnetic field created by a moving charge will oppose that charge.

See that it could not be any other way.

Because if the field created by a moving charge helped push that charge,
then you would have a positive feedback situation, the current would increase, which would further increase the mag field, which would increase...get it?

Or you can look at it from a conservation of energy point of view, which states that you can not create energy from nothing.

Now this opposing magnetic field is holding back the electrons, so you could say it is resisting a change in current. So Lenz's Law defines the mechanism which is responsible for a property associated with inductors called Inductive Reactance.

Inductive Reactance which is given the symbol XL, is the property in an AC circuit which opposes the change in the current.

Henries

Henry a guy who figured out induction at the same time as Faraday, unfortunately, Faraday got all the props. They felt bad for Henry so they named the unit of inductance after him.

What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit whereby a change in the current flowing through the circuit induces a voltage that opposes the change in current.

Notice that we are not talking about magnets anymore.
Not too many magnets in audio electronics.
So for inductance we talk about a changing current, instead of a changing magnetic field.
A changing magnetic field will induce a current in a wire, or we can induce the current ourselves with our own power.
Either way, the formulas remain the same.

The ratio of the magnetic flux to the current is called the self-inductance, which is usually simply referred to as the inductance of the circuit.

A Henry then, is a measurement of the ratio of how strong a magnetic field you build for a given amount of current.

So lets say you inject 1 amp into a 1 turn air core coil
Say that will produce a mag field with a flux density of 100 Gauss.

Your inductance, in Henries, would be 100 Gauss/1 Amp
Call it 100 millihenries.

so our formula for inductance will simply read>

L = B/i       

where L is inductance in Henries, 
B is the magnetic field strength, and
i is the AC current.

Now say you you run that same 1 amp of juice thru a 2 turn coil?
You will generate twice the magnetic field, 200 gauss.
So your inductance in henries will go up as well.  200/1 = 200 millihenries.

if you want to include number of coil turns in the inductance formula, you just write

L = N B/i

So,

Inductance, measured in Henries, is the ratio of the magnetic field to the current applied.

Inductive Reactance

Inductors do not behave the same as resistors. Whereas resistors simply oppose the flow of electrons through them, inductors oppose changes in current through them, by dropping a voltage directly proportional to the rate of change of current. In accordance with Lenz's Law, this induced voltage is always of such a polarity as to try to maintain current at its present value. That is, if current is increasing in magnitude, the induced voltage will “push against” the electron flow; if current is decreasing, the polarity will reverse and “push with” the electron flow to oppose the decrease. This opposition to current change is called reactance, rather than resistance

When an alternating current of constant magnitude is passed thru the winding of an air-core inductance, energy is alternately stored and given up every quarter cycle. If the resistance of the circuit is negligible, all of the energy that is stored in the magnetic field during one quarter cycle is reversible and is returned to the source during the following quarter cycle.The average power consumed by such a circuit is zero during a number of complete cycles.

Simple formulas are always nice, and the formula for inductance is just a linear equation that reads

XL = 2 pi f L

XL is the reactance in ohms
2 pi is because we are talking about 360 degrees of sine wave (complete cycle)
f is the frequency of our sine wave
L is the Inductance in Henries

you can round off 2 pi so that an easy to remember formula becomes

XL = 6.28 f L

Example:  a 1 henry choke coil is operating at 60 hertz,

what is the inductive reactance?

XL = 6.28 * 60 hz * 1 Henry
XL = 37.68 Ohms

so if you hooked a 1 henry choke across an AC line, you would be putting a 37.68 ohm resistor across that same line.

However, current and voltage flow at a 90 degree angle to each other in a perfect inductor, so there is no heat generated.
This is why we use inductors instead of resistors in some applications.

Why is the current and voltage out of phase?
Because as the voltage goes up and down, the current will be impeded by the opposing magnetic field. (Lenz's Law)
And as the voltage decreases, the current increases due to the collapsing magnetic field. (Lenz's Law again)

Or, the old water model,

The have a big turbine wheel in front of a jet stream of water.
You open the valve and the jet stream builds, putting pressure (voltage) on the turbine wheel immediately.
The wheel has pressure on it, but it is starting from a dead stop. Think of the wheel rotation as current. The speed of the turbine will finally match up to the water pressure being applied, and when the water pressure goes down, the wheel will lag in slowing down,  just like the current in an inductor.

Mutual Inductance

If two coils of wire are brought into close proximity with each other so the magnetic field from one links with the other, a voltage will be generated in the second coil as a result. This is called mutual inductance: when voltage impressed upon one coil induces a voltage in another.

A device specifically designed to produce the effect of mutual inductance between two or more coils is called a transformer.

Because magnetically induced voltage only happens when the magnetic field flux is changing in strength relative to the wire, mutual inductance between two coils can only happen with alternating voltage, and not with  DC voltage. The only applications for mutual inductance in a DC system is where some means is available to switch power on and off to the coil (thus creating a pulsing DC voltage), the induced voltage peaking at every pulse.

Turns Ratio

You can break it down many ways, we usually use

Pri Volts/Sec Volts = Pri Turns / Sec Turns

Example - Step Up Transformer

We want 450 volts for a Marshall Plexi.
We have 120 mains.

120/450 = Pri Turns/Sec Turns

We need a transformer with a 120/450 = 1:3.75 turns ratio

So if the primary had 100 turns, the sec needs 375 turns.

Voltage and Current in a Transformer

Pri Volts * Pri Amps = Sec Volts * Sec Amps

Example:  1 Amp * 100 Volts = 2 Amps * 50 Volts

Example:  1 Amp *  100 Volts = 4 Amps * 25 Volts

So step up the voltage, you loose current, step up the current, you lose voltage.
There is no free lunch in the transformer business.  ;D

Polarity

See the Pic below for the standard polarity notation of a typical transformer.

Attachments

• dotconvention.jpg
    dotconvention.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 26
                      High Voltage Power Supplies

Many cool audio projects use vacuum tubes instead of transistors and opamps. How can we build a power supply for a tube circuit?

A-C power distributed to homes today must be rectified before it can be used to operate radios and other devices which must have direct current. This is accomplished very easily by means of the rectifier with some kind of filtering network to remove the resulting ripple (pulsating d-c) that remains after rectification.

Tube Rectifier

If you heat up a coat hanger while it is inside a vacuum, it will emit electrons
But you have to have a voltage set up inside the tube, something to attract the electrons.
A steel plate at one end of the tube can be hooked up to the positive terminal of a high voltage DC power supply.
The coat hanger, which we call the Cathode, will be hooked to the  minus terminal of the power supply.

So electrons flow from the hot cathode to the positive plate.
No vacuum is perfect, so the electrons see a little resistance as they travel thru space. So the distance between the plate and the cathode will determine the resistance of the vacuum tube.
We call this the Plate Resistance.

A cathode needs to be heated in order to allow it to emit electrons.
Some cathodes, like a 6X4 rectifier, found in the Vox  guitar amps,  have a twisted pair of heater wire that is tucked inside the hollow structure.
This is called an indirectly heated cathode.
Other cathodes, like the 5U4 found in a lot of big Fender amps, have a directly heated cathode.
This means that one end of the heater wire will be connected directly to the cathode, and the other will be brought out to a pin on the tube.
Directly heated cathodes emit electrons easier, and also warm up faster.

If you put the negative lead of a high voltage  power supply onto the plate, and the positive lead of the power supply to the cathode?
Nothing.
This is because the electrons can flow from a hot cathode to the plate, but the can not flow from the cold plate to the hot cathode.
The cathode could receive some electrons if the plate was  also heated, but hopefully the plate never gets that hot.

So we have a device that conducts current one way, from cathode to plate,
but does not conduct current the other way, from plate to cathode.

This is called a Rectifier.

We can use the rectifier it to make DC out of an AC source.

Half Wave Rectifier

If you hook a resistor across a transformer secondary, you will get current flowing thru the resistor in both directions.

If you put a rectifier in series with this circuit, then the current will only flow in one direction. This is because the rectifier will only conduct one way.
So for a sine wave, only half the wave will be passed, thus, the half wave rectifier.
This is not a very common way of making DC power because of the waste. You only rectify one half of the sine wave, the other half does nothing.

Full Wave Rectification

Now  if we center tap the secondary of a transformer, and ground it, we can hook 2 of these vacuum tube rectifiers up and rectify both sides of the sine wave.
One  tube goes in the top leg of the transformer, one tube on the bottom leg.
Each leg is 180 degrees out of phase with each other relative to the center tap.
So when one tube is conducting, the other tube is off.
This way, a load connected to the output side of both tube rectifiers will see two sine wave halves instead of one. This makes a more efficient power supply, and one that is easier to filter out into clean DC.

This full wave rectification circuit is very common in most vacuum tube circuits.
So common that they stuck 2 rectifiers in each 5Y3 and 5U4 rectifier tube.
This saves money and space.
Heaters for these tubes run on 5 volts, thus the 5 at the beginning of the tube type number.

Once in a great while you will see a vacuum tube chassis with a full wave rectifier that uses 4 rectifiers to make a bridge circuit. Since they are so rare, we can skip it for now.

Breakdown Voltage

If you put a high enough AC voltage across a tube rectifier, you can arc across the distance between the plate and cathode. This means you have current flowing in both directions thru the tube which is not good.
Breakdown voltage is the value of this reverse voltage that causes arcing.
It is usually listed in the tube manual.

Heater Considerations for Tube Rectifiers

If you use a 5U4 rectifier for a tube project, you need to know that the high voltage coming  off the common cathodes (the 2 cathodes are joined inside the tube) is also present on the heater.
So the 5 volt heater winding of your power transformer will need to be insulated well enough in order to prevent a short out. It might have 500 volts of DC imposed on the heater winding by way of the directly heated cathode.

Old 2 volt rectifiers used in ham radio transmitters really had to be powered by a good 2 volt winding, that is why you see huge insulation voltage ratings on the 2 volt stuff, not so high on the 5 volt stuff.

Pulsating DC Needs Filtering

No matter which rectifier circuit you use, half wave full wave, or full wave bridge, you will still be left with pulsating DC on the line.
Pulsating DC is is just an AC signal that is raised above ground to the point that it never goes negative. In order to keep this pulsating DC out of our audio circuit, we need to filter it out some how.
Remember that a Capacitor is a device that resists a change in voltage?
Why don't we stick one of those on the pulsating DC?
We call these filter caps, and there are usually the biggest caps on the chassis.
Typical values for a tube amp are 20 microfarads at 450 volts, maybe  40 uF at 500, not to many filter caps go higher than 525 volts, but you can stack them in series in order to double the voltage rating. Sometimes resistors are added across the caps in order to make sure that each cap works at about the same voltage, thus preventing an overload situation.

After we add a cap across the pulsating DC coming off our tube rectifier, we will still have a tiny bit of pulsating DC left. We call this Ripple. If you measure the ripple voltage and divide by thel DC voltage, you get the percentage of ripple voltage that is still present.
Most audio tube chassis will have a very good spec for percent ripple.
A car battery charger will have a horrendous ripple voltage, but who cares.

Now when you pick capacitors out for a power supply, remember that if your transformer secondary says 400 volts, they mean 400 volts RMS. But the cap must handle the largest voltage seen, which will be the peak voltage, not the RMS voltage.
To get the peak voltage, multiply the RMS voltage by a factor of 1.41.
So a 400 volt secondary will need a 400 * 1.41 = 564 volts.
I would pick a 600 volt cap for this application in order to have a little safety factor.
Better yet would be a couple of 400 volt caps stacked on top of each other which would give me a comfortable 800 volts on that 564 volt line.
Sometimes when tube circuits start up, they develop a higher than normal voltage for a few seconds until the power tubes warm up and drag the power supply down to it's normal operating voltage.
That is why a bleeder resistor is often a good thing to add to a power supply.
It will drain the caps after the power is turned off, and also provide a little better regulation of the voltage during start up. Watch out for the heat,

600 volts / 200 K = 3 ma 

3 ma * 600 volts = 1.8 watts so use a 10 watt sand block resistor.

Some fancy vacuum tube circuits include a voltage regulator circuit.
The Fairchild 670 compressor is a good example. You can find information on these types in the Radio Amateurs Handbook, which is available as a free download online.

Here is a link where you can download all kinds of free books pertaining to vacuum tubes>

http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

Pic 1 is an example of a full-wave rectifier using a transformer to step-up the voltage to several hundred volts. This high voltage secondary is connected to the plates of the rectifier. The center tap is connected to the ground return of the circuit. The B+ is taken of the cathode or filament. The output is now d-c, but going from zero voltage to a peak value. To remove this pulsation, a filter network is necessary. The pi filter is the one that is most common and its name comes from the general appearance of the capacitors and choke to that of the pi symbol. It is also called the capacitor input filter because the current will flow first into the uncharged capacitor before it goes into the choke coil (which resists a change in current).

The output B+ voltage depends on the a-c voltage across the high-voltage secondary, the load current, and the size of the filters and choke.
Without any load the d-c voltage across the first capacitor in the filter network is approximately equal to the peak voltage from either plate to common ground. If the power supply is operated near peak voltage, it will result in poor voltage regulation (that is large changes in voltage as the load varies). This is not desirable. In order to provide a regulation, a certain minimum current must be drawn from the supply at all times, which is the purpose of the bleeder resistor.
A second purpose of the bleeder resistor is to discharge the capacitors when the power is turned off.

Opening either rectifier plate connection causes the full-wave rectifier to become a half-wave rectifier. However, with the same load current, there is a greater voltage drop across the rectifier tube so the B+ is much lower. Also the ripple frequency which was 120 cycles per second drops to 60 cycles per second which is much more difficult to filter out smoothly.  Half-wave rectifiers are normally used on circuits with very low load current, with the full-wave types being used on those requiring high current.

Fig. 1

Attachments

• halffull.jpg
    halffull.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 29
Back