Paia FracRak as a project rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Hey, all.

I'm operating on about 12 hours sleep for three, maybe even four nights. I can't even remember anymore. So please forgive me if this is a stupid question, or if my rambling is entirely too "entertaining".

http://paia.com/fracrak.htm

Does anyone think that would make a decent project rack to hold, say, preamps and EQs and the like? They only go 7" deep, but as far as I can see, many of the projects here may not need more than that if I plan it out right.

My thought was to make one full of preamps, then one full of Pultecs, then one full of some other kind of EQ, maybe Sontecs? I'm thinking about going with a solid-state make-up stage for the Pultecs. Maybe a good discrete op amp would do the trick.

Then I could build a single common power supply for each FracRak, to save on parts, space, and work.

Any thoughts?

Duh, nevermind.

It just occurrred to me I could do that with any 3U or 4U high rackmount chassis if I plan out my front panel in advance. The FracRak's main advantage is the fact that you don't have to fill it up right away. The price of the FracRak is also reasonable compared to many other chassis made.

Thanks anyway, guys.

Consul,

This is not so dumb of an idea! This is good methinks, like you say, you can do one panel at a time...if you screw up, just toss that panel and start over. And its CHEEP!

Thanks for pointing that out!!

I was looking at some professional modular rack from RITALL and ELMA for some API like universal box, and I think they cost much more than this FracRak.

chrissugar

I'm just curious as to how many various devices I could shove into one. Mic preamps would be fairly easy, as long as they're all solid state. My plan with some Pultec clones may be another story entirely. Of course, nothing says I need to use PCBs for those...

You're right, this does seem the cheapest way into a decent 3U chassis.

This might also make a good chassis for a summing circuit, for OTB mixing, which is what I hope to make if I have the time and money for it. Preamps first, though.

Thanks, Elk! It's nice to run into someone that actually has one. :wink:

Even with having to buy all the front panels separately, the Paia comes out cheaper than other equivilent options. I think I'll take a serious look at it.

I may have to take that back...

Total costs...

One frame, one set of side/back panels, and 10 of the 1.5" panels (to fill up the front: $69

The cheapest way, is to buy 3 of the three-wide (4.5") at $4.50 a piece + a 1-wide to fill in the space. Total cost: $51.

I can buy a 4U Par-Metal aluminum/steel rack that's a few inches deeper for about $45. I think that may be the way I go.

Now, if you really do want a modular option, the Paia is a good fit...

For those who lives in Europe I think German Polyrack is a good choice?
3, 4 and 6 RU Frames! Blank panels ony available in 3 RU! I will have one of these as a sample soon! Tell you more then!

Donno if the rack from Paia is anything similar to the one selling by blacet, I have purchased racks frames looks very similar to Paia from Blacet aiming to hold Telefunken/Filtek pre amps and EQ modules and I must say they are very weak and flimsy can not hold too much weight at all. :? :sad:

However, they are perfectly good for holding non transformer electronic circuit boards and they do produce very nice synth modules.

Latest posts

Back