Bipolar Power Supply question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giganova

Hey guys --

quick question about a DigiKey bi-polar power supply which I want to use to rack up vintage mic pres:
I have the DigiKey +/-24V 0.6A power supply (HAA24-0.6-A). The output pins are

Output 1 -
Output 1 +
Output 2 -
Output 2 +

(see picture on the link below)

All I need is +24V and a -24V. Do I have to solder the two Output 1 + / Output 2- together and to ground??

Thanks!

http://giganova.com/ADM_powersupply.JPG

That's not a bipolar supply, but a dual output supply... You may be able to wire it up as a bipolar, but I don't think the outputs are isolated (at least it doesn't expressly say so in the datasheet).

Peace,
Al.

I'm still confused: the power supply is rated as +(18-24)V and -(18-24)V. So how do I get +20V and -20V? I thought if I'd solder the two middle pins to ground I'd have +20V (right pin) and -20V (left pin) on the other pins. Is that correct?

Measure to see if there is continuity between the two halves. If it is much lower than a few megohms then they are not isolated. This would be odd though, as most people would want to do what you do and have +/- voltages, so probably what you propose is the way to go.

The datasheet should say something about this.

Back