Green Rotary Switch Resistance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hey Guys,

This is a call/plea to anyone who has a Green. Could you take measurements of each Gain step (1-12) on the Lorlin and post your measurements?

I just want to compare mine. I trippled check the resitor values are correct (according to the bag anyways), but want to see someonelses readings.

Sorry for being a bit vague, I just need to troubleshoot something and want to rule out the Lorlin.

Cheers

Matt

I sure will Matt.....as soon as I get my stuff and get it togehter. It's the least i can do after all you helped me with....but as you understand it will take a while :roll:

I can check this evening as well, but I do remember that I checked my switches when I first built them, and they followed the schematic. The first gain position = all resistence SUMMED (somewhere in the neighborhood of 180K if my memory serves me correctly...), and each click up, subtract that next resistance in line, all the way down to 1.5R for the last step.

Andrew

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help! No need for the values as I sorted the issue! To give you the quick low down....

I was running the Greens just fine at unbalanced line level (-10db) and then wired up my gear to be +4db (balanced) but was having to drive the Green Gain knob all the way up to get a hot enough level at +4 into Pro Tools, which is VERY wrong since it is +4db device with 66db of gain...

When I built the boards I checked EVERY resistor before soldering but I missed it on the switches, by a decimal point....

Where I was supposed to use a 1R5 resistor I used a 15R... hence the lack of gain. I prob noticed it at the time, but since the bag said 1R5 I just ASSUMED the parts bag from my store was right... wrong.

Anyways after strapping in a 2R resistor (I had no 1R5's) I got it blistering out the DB's into Pro Tools.

Just goes to show.... Double no Triple check you parts, don't just blindly believe the bag as I did!

Cheers

Matt

Y'all have to understand, life in Cape Town is pretty slow....

:cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink:

In Afrikaans, the name is Kaapstad, which gets translated by us cynics in the North as "Slaapstad".

Means Sleepy Town or Sleepy Hollow :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well done, Matt, your first fault finding experience! It is usually quite satisfying.

Regards
Peter

Hah hah!

You should hear what we call those that live in the North...... :green:

It is amazing how much of difference a decimal place can make.... LOL

If you include the fact I had to troubleshoot my grounding
issues and came up with my star ground scheme, and now this, it is strike 2 :green:

But on the upside it is showing I can not only build the car but service it as well, LOL

My wife is very happy as well. She said when I found out the gain was not working as it should
she thought a family member had died from the look on my face... well I guess they
did as I've come to love my Greens, Hah hah

Cheers

Matt

Back