Attack/Release timing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty2

Why are attack/release rates always shown in time ( i.e. milliseconds) on front panels?

Wouldn't "dB/sec" be a more accurate measure?

(assuming a capacitor is being charged and discharged to give you the rates) for an above-threshold signal, the attack time is the same regardless of the signal level, similarly, once the threshold is crossed back over again the release rate is independent of the signal. I'm sure the brains here can think of exceptions.

O.K, I think I understand you guys. It could be specified in dB/sec when looking a a linear rate change.

Now, when attack/release is specified in seconds, what is being measured exactly? I assume it's from some point back to unity, but what's the starting point?

JBL/Urei for example specifies release time for the 7110 in "seconds for 10dB of release".

This means the time it takes, after gain reduction has taken place and the input signal starts to decrease again, to go from max gain reduction to 10dB less of gain reduction.

As you see, the time taken to go from max gain reduction to no gain reduction depends largely on the compression ratio.

Rogy

There is no consensus in industry of how to measure attack and release times - so you will see all sorts of figures used. As these figures are not comparable you'll end up having to adjust by-ear anyway, so marking front-panel with timing figures dosen't really make (common)sense.

This is why we don't use timing figures on our Gyratec-series compresors.

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back