cinema limiter schemo required

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

I've just had a cinema engineering tube limiter arrive on my bench for an overall. Before i start tracing out the circuit by hand is there any chance anyone has a copy on file?

Honestly, I didn't even know Cinema Engineering made limiters. But they did a lot of custom-work... Who knows? Yours may be a one-off!

I'm sure we'd all love to see some pictures and, when you get 'round to it, the schematics :green:

I don't see any Cinema Engineering products there at all.

Actually, that website is concerned more with theater projection equipment. Cinema Engineering was so-called because it made audio products for the production end of the film industry, not so much for projection. Their equalizers and "sound effects filters" were standard equipment for Hollywood sound departments of the '50s and '60s. They also made some very nice mic and line amplifiers, attenuators and custom recording and re-recording consoles.

Sounds like it could be an interesting comp- no schem in my files I'm afraid. Go on- you know you love a good circuit trace!!

I'd be interested to see a picture too.

Here's a pdf of a bit of The Audio Cyclopedia 1st edn. with a picture of a Cinema Engineering passive EQ:

Cinema Engineering EQ PDF

I know that they had one of these EQ units at Toe Rag in London.

Mark

i'll post a pic soon
i've been in vari-mu land over the past couple of weeks refurbishing / modding a AWA and today finished off a federal, this " cinema" and another AWA to go!

Hi squib

I saw on your page the Quad Eight AM2B compressor racking and was thinking to ask if you can post a schematic for this because I know it is a very nice sounding unit and it is easy to DIY.
Our Soundguy Dave promissed to post this a long time ago but he didn't receive back the documents, so it would be great if you can help.
Thanks

chrissugar

Im just insanely busy with other stuff. I got to the point where I hired a webguy to redo my site for my, I cant juggle all this stuff anymore, maybe I'll drop the schems off at his place next time I see him.

hind sight being 20/20, now that Ive completed the fred forssell limiter, I cant imagine why anyone would build that quad eight thing when fred's design is up here for people to use. You'll wind up using the same vactrol and fred's unit is just better. The QE thing is unbalanced so you'll still need to come up with a decent output amplifier if you eexpect it to drive anything with any kind of authority. Fred's thing is done AND its incredible, I dont know how much Id bother with the QE to be honest.

dave

Here are some photos of this limiter. If anyone has any thoughts on what this might be and schemos......
The owner called it a cinema limiter, but now looking at it that is just the name of the input and output attenuators. So it would be good to identify what it really is:
limit.jpg

limit_panel.jpg

I've also posted up the schemo of the Quad Eight AM2B opto compressor.

yeah, i wouldn't recommend it as a DIY, it was hard work getting it to work as a standalone unit, had to add input / ouput transformers. Operationally it is pretty kooky also.....but does sound good

Thank you squib for the AM2B.
What type of optocoupler is used? As I understand it is something still in production (PerkinElmer, Silonex ?).

chrissugar

tubes:
2 x 6K7
3 x 6SJ7
1 x 6H6

plus 4 x UTC trannys

on the opto cell, not sure, but i've been told the Vactrol is the go.

I know this was a long time back but just incase some 1 missed it or new member hasnt seen this limiter.

Id like to know more about this one too and would love to see schematic.

Cheers.....................Gary O.

Latest posts

Back