Good value in 1:2 stepup output transformers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

I'm looking to put in about 8 output transformers for direct outs into my PM1000 as described here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5643&highlight=pm1000

The thing is, you can't really get the original output transformers for the PM1000 butt-cheap anymore, so I was thinking I might try to find some 1:2 stepup transformers since I'd like more gain than the originals provide anyway.

Is this a good idea or should I just try and track down some of the originals and pay the going price?

Does anyone have a possible reccomended replacement that is 1:2 where I can figure out how to do the super easy mod just like tubejay describes in the link above?

I'm thinking, at $35 to $40 bucks a pop, maybe I can get something better than the original tamuras

you can get awesome cinemag outputs for $40 all day long.

anyone ever follow up on profile? whats the current status with the 4804?

dave

I talked to Profile a couple of days ago. No change yet but they hope soon. The guy said they could use the sales.

:thumb:

I just don't understand this - How does Cinemag and Jensen get away with it? :?

On another note, has anyone ever spoke with Profile about making a decent 600:600 output transformer similar to Jensen or Cinemag? Might be another route for high quality at low dollar.

[quote author="Flatpicker"]I just don't understand this - How does Cinemag and Jensen get away with it? :?
[/quote]

As far as I know Jensen and Cinemag use somewhat different designs. Could the problem be with Profile that they are replicating the original?

Back