Guitar electronics DIY - active tone control?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiira

Hi I'm building another franken-kiiracaster and I was thinking a mid-range boost/cut would be really super-neato. I don't know enough about SS to design anything but I was wondering if anyone knows of a schematic around.... just gots to run off 9 volts.

BTW - if anyone here uses push-pull pots you hafta try the push-push pots instead you just slap them instead of fumbling to get a grip on the fender knob. Really cool from AES.

Kiira

[quote author="kiira"]Hi I'm building another franken-kiiracaster and I was thinking a mid-range boost/cut would be really super-neato. I don't know enough about SS to design anything but I was wondering if anyone knows of a schematic around.... just gots to run off 9 volts.

BTW - if anyone here uses push-pull pots you hafta try the push-push pots instead you just slap them instead of fumbling to get a grip on the fender knob. Really cool from AES.

Kiira[/quote]

www.diystompboxes.com

this is the best place to ask this question.

i would start looking around for the anderton frequency booster, and go from there.

mark hammer
jack orman
r.g. keen

these are some of the greats to ask this question to, and they hang around the diystompboxes forum.

good luck.

Before you go for active tone control, try a smaller cap for your tone control. That makes it much more usable. Experiment with values from about 1n to 6.8n.

1n in parallel to a Stratocaster PU (= turn your tone control all the way down) lowers the resonance frequency to about Gibson Humbucker value. Somewhat bigger caps gives you a healthy mid boost.

I drew up a schematic for one years ago. I will look for it it was based off the EC control but using a opamp. Check Steve A's Blue guitar site I think the EC schematic is there.

This outfit sells some SMD board and pot/switch assemblies which take the place of a tone control and do various nifty tweaks. You'll have to search through the listings to see all the different ones. Some are treble boosters, screamers, or in your case, mid-gain boosters. It looks like they all use push/pull switches as well to insert/remove the circuit. I haven't tried one myself, so usual disclaimers apply.

HTH...

Sorry to hi-jack, but I have an idea for my guitar:

Would it be possible to make a tiny circuit that hooked upto one of the pots and would let you emulate a whammy bar tremolo effect by turning the knob back and forth?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back