Klangfilm Preamps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synthi

Hi People!

I just got a pair of Klangfilm KLV00 preamps and I`d like to use them as makeup gain blocks for a pair of eckmiller W86 eqs. The eckmillers will need 34dB of amplification. Does anyone have the specs or info about those klangfilm preamps? Do you think they would be suitable for that task?

Thanks!

Synthi.

Damn Kubi,

:shock:

You just lost me an afternoon- what an incredible site! The pictures are amazing, and some great schems!

:thumb: :guinness: :grin:

BTW, you wanna see point-to-point?

here 'ya go!

Wonderful stuff. If only I could speak German :sad:

Mark

Thanks Kubi! Awesome site about klangfilm gear :grin:

Checking my orifinal message I+ve found I`ve lost a "7" for the preamps I got. They are model number 007: KL-V007

There are some photos there and also an schematic :!:
Now, since my knowledge in electronics is basic, could anyone check if it could be suitable for the task of makeup the eckmillers? :?: :?: :?:

schemo: http://klangfilm.free.fr/index.php?...tations/electronics/amplifiers/kl-v007/&num=0
pics: http://klangfilm.free.fr/index.php?...ictures/electronics/amplifiers/kl-v007/&num=1

Thanks in advance!

Synthi

Take care - it looks like there's a high polarisation voltage (82.5V/110V) going to the input - from R17-18-19. Polarisation for a photoreceptor? Remove R20/R21 to be safe.

Other than that, it might work for your purpose - it seems like the pot R11 is a gain trimmer.

Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob!

One question, do you mean remove r20 and r21 totally or using links in the place (at least for R21)?

Also Ther are a separate 220V and 6.3V input for the heaters, So I think i`ll feed mains 220V AC thru fuse (1A?) and using a transformer for getting the 6.2V (DC?) right?

The R11 seems to be the "pegel" volume control at the back of the unit :grin:

Thanks again!

Synthi.

Hi Synthi,

They look like great pre's- good score!

Just a few things- you mentioned the 220V and 6.3V inputs to the unit- the 220V input is a DC input- pin 4b has to be +220V DC, and the 0V for the 220V input is pin 2a and 4a. From your post it sounded as if you meant to connect 220V AC mains to this input- this wouldn't work at all, and would damage the unit.

The 220V DC input needs to be from a separate transformer and rectifier/smoothing cap circuit. You may be best off using a "pi-input" filter for the power after the rectifier- this is basically your standard post-rectifier capacitor, followed by a series resistor in the +Ve rail, and then another capacitor. This allows more efficient ripple smoothing, and means that you can drop further voltage in the series resistor- it's very rare that you get exactly 220V directly from a transformer/rectifier combination!

Let me know if you need more advice on this. Check out an LA2-A schem or even a basic tube guitar amp schematic for how a "HT" (High Tension or B+) supply works.

The 6.3V supply will run fine from an AC supply. This can be directly from a filament transformer, or get a proper "tube" power transformer with a winding for the HT supply and a heater supply. Alternatively, use the "back-to-back" mains transformer, as used by some of Jakob's tube projects. Again, ask if you want more details.

For the resistors- they need to be removed completely. If replaced with links, they will actually cause more damage. The input was probably used with old film projectors- the sound heads were light sensors similar to LDR's, and needed a bias voltage to work.

You could also remove R1 at the lower end of the resistor, and re-connect this end that was connected to the C9/R21 junction to 0V (ground- any of the wires connecting to pin 2A at the bottom corner of the schem) This would leave the 100k resistor at the input before the coupling cap, and would help prevent any pops or clicks as you plug equipment into the input. The input cap will always stay charged from power up.

Ask if you need any advice with this- they look like great preamps.

:thumb:

Mark

Wow, Thanks a lot for all that info, Mark!
Than I think I`ll try to get a "tube power transformer" with correct power supplies for the HT an heater, now I just wonder if using 230V instead 220V could be undesirable for the preamp.. I think a friend of mine have some guitar amps transformers but I think they are 230V HT...

Best Regards,

Synthi (drooling about the complete eckmiller-Klangfilm eq thing...)

I was thinking about the racking job for those eckmillers+klangfilms and now I think would be better havig the eckmillers and 007 preamps in different housings so I can use the klangfilm preamps for other uses instead of being allways attached to the eckmiller eqs...

So this may be my last question :roll:

For useing the 007s as standalone line/mic preamps, what input tranformer would be suitable here?

Thanks!

Synthi.

Latest posts

Back