SSLTech's New Arrival

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmintz

I'm not sure if it's a boy or a girl, but it is a cutie!

LA2a1.jpg

LA2a2.jpg

LA2a3.jpg

LA2a4.jpg

Well done! :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :thumb:

Awwww, look!!!

...It's got it's Daddy's VU meter! :grin:

...I'd like to thank the Academy for the award, Peter Purpose for the input transformer, CJ for the hacksaw... and the T4, and he good people at Skycraft for just about everything else!!! :cool:

This is one delivery where the wife wasn't allowed in the delivery room!

One thing about the interior colour scheme: If there's ever a bad wire, I'm betting it's a red one!!! :green:

Now I'm off to stuff cee-gars into everyone's mouth! :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Great work Keith!

It's funny, the late nights end with the birth of this "bundle of joy" :wink:

So how's it sounding?

:guinness: :guinness:

Mark

Next thing to do is to label the front panel. I plan to use my patent laser-transfer system using 3M super77 and clear lacquer...

Hopefully I can photo-document the process starting from this 'blank slate'.

Keith

Congratulations! :guinness: :green:

Nice lookin box, I bet it sounds even better than it looks.

I cannot wait to get started on mine....soon

Thanks for sharing...love to see finished stuff.

Cheers

That is too good. Such neat wiring.
I don't know if I find it inspirational :D, or depressing (when I look at my stuff). I think I'll go with inspirational.
Top job, Keef.
:thumb:

Well... it was a lengthy labour... about 5 months!!! :shock:

The case is home-made, using a Hammond card-rack kit. Both the top and the bottom have two braces running let-to-right; one at the front and one at the back. The front braces were left in place, but the back braces were brought forward until they met the front braces, then two holes drilled at each end to hold them in place. That formed the top and bottom... then thesides were hacksaw-ed down. (A process known as "Jenricking" :green: )

Each brace has a punched rail that slides in, to allow the card mounting. The rail sits in a recess and it holds the screws for the turret board perfectly... the recesses also prevent the turrets from making contact with the case, but I also slipped a plastic insulator strip in there for "belt-and-braces" protection!

The back panel is a flat sheet of aluminium, held in place with 4 machine screws along the top, 4 more along the bottom. The machine screws go into nuts that slip into the slot along the outside of the hammond brace, which was originally how the rear panels was meant to be mounted... it's perfect!!!

The hinge is a $1.50 'Skycraft special' piano hinge, drilled and tapped into the aluminium lower brace. The front panel is just a flat panel with holes in it.

If anyone really wants to make a case themselves they could certainly do it this way, but the Bloo is definately a cheaper option, it's a no-brainer, and it comes with the screen printing already on it. The Hammond racks are about $75 before you even start with the metal for the front & back panels...

I even DIY-ed the VU meter! The movement is a 100µA Beede meter that I spotted in Skycraft. It was the only one they had, but with a 4-diode germanium bridge and three resistors it was padded and shunted to match the original Beede VU meter's electrical characteristics. It's just fine for steady-state tones, but it is a little slow on dynamic material, to be quite honest. -It's not dramatically slow when in the GR setting though, and that's where it will usually be set... A 'real' Beede VU meter will be a simple drop-in deal however, so if I ever grow tired of this one, the genuine article is the work of a moment.

Currently I only have a generator, scope and distortion meter. I could rig a CD player into it, but I don't have a monitor amp handy... I'll have to take it into the studio after the 4th of July celebrations are over. I don;t see a lot of hum, and the distortion looks reasonable. THere's a -6dB rolloff by 30kHz... that sonds a little early, but I'll look into it at work.

Till then, here's to 'wetting the baby's head'!

:guinness:

Keith

Latest posts

Back