Anyone interested in some API 500 format projects??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammas

I've been thinking i'd like to tackle something small, with minimal wiring fuss... API 500 series format seems pretty straight forward, and I have some modules to work off for dimensions, etc...

I was looking at Kev's & PeterC's F110 (apparently similar or inspired by fokuswright 110). Nice clean utility preamp...

http://recording.org/users/kev/mic_pre_general.htm (The top one...)

Looks straight forward enough and up to running on the +-16v from the rack.

I'm going to start working on the PCB layout very shortly and will also add a phase and pad switch...

Is anyone else interested in building one? I plan on putting pads just after the edge pins so they can easily be wired for operation without an API rack.

Any other projects that could run nicely off 16v?

the gssl (with external power as included in your rack scheme) might fit on a 312 style card?

I would love to see this type of project mature into a full compliment of cards - eq, comp, pres, bus, oscillator .. This would free up the choice of packaging into a rack cage setup, stand-alone components or the ability to build a full console around such components.

I think it's about fuckin' time the 500 was adopted for DIY. I've been looking for fine dimensions, but couldn't find any. Was going to buy or rent a module. Anyone have the info? This question has been asked here before, but without any responses.

Not interested in that pre myself, but good luck Sammas! :thumb:

Right now i am also working on a EQ project and thought about doing some kind of module rack case and just finish the eq's like i need them and having them in a rack case which is freely configurable.
Then i realized that fitting a single eq on such a module is nearly impossible if you don't go with dual concentric switches and pots. That's the reason i changed my plan and now i am going with the old fashioned rack cases.

However i think with pre's it's quite different as normally you have a gain switch and some small switches like 48V, polarity and phase and those should be easy to fit on a module frontpanel. I guess it gets again quite tricky if you want to make compressors with meters.

Just some food for thoughts.

Flo

I am very interested in a 500 series project. I would be willing to buy a couple circuit boards if someone can get a few extra. I have two modules in my 11 space rack. They need some company!

Jason

Okay, well a 312 seems pretty boring IMHO since many forum members have already built it in other formats and you can buy the BAE or OSA versions new. But if that's what the people want, then I'm happy to contribute.

How about we start a new thread with a poll to see what designs people are most interested in? Then once a general parts list for the chosen circuit is available I can start the layout.

What about a simple fixed frequency 3-band EQ like the API 553? The parts would be easy to source and the layout looks kinda simple. No fancy switches. Just cost effective tone. Though the 2503/4804 may be hard to get these days.

[quote author="drpat"]

I haven't seen any completed A*P*I DIY pres in the card format. I've been waiting with bated breath since BAE is no longer selling this particular card and I love the way it sounds on drums. Otherwise, I would have just bought new ones.[/quote]

http://www.shinybox.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

I got these close to being drop in my lunchbox compatible, and decided I'd rather have a 1U case, as I've been told my 4 space lunchbox doesn't like a mic pre in slot 4 (noise).

API 553 is my vote.... all the way =)

That, or simply doing up a card layout with pins labeled, for the group to draw up it's own circuits on.

ju

Fabios' 312 layout is a standard 100x160mm eurocard as far as i know - I'm doin mine the same way so I can fit them in a modular 3U vero rack chassis...KM6 type range I think. It's a nice solution and the fabrication of the chassis is pretty straightforward...

You can use fully enclosed metal modules or just slide the pcb bare on the guide rails, then alls you need is a tiny frontpanel made up for the controls n whatnot...

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/7561.pdf

The ToneLux VRack looks rather interesting. Anybody familiar with this product? On paper it looks like a good platform to grow a complete modular system. Anybody have a schematic? What do they cost?

Guys,

I was actually talking to a fellow board member about this the other day, it is not the first time it has been mentioned here before. I think it is awesome and a great way forward!

Maybe the designed of some of the current projects would let others have a go and redoing some layouts to fit these specs. Imagine a rack with a pultec, opto comp EQ and pres!

And if you run out you can just pop out the modules and put in a new one! Brilliant idea!

Kudos... now the thing is how do we all agree on a standard. I like the idea of Vero rack, but you got to think longevity as well. Will the Vero rack be around forever, at least the 500 series racks seems to be popular and both BAE and OSA make racks as well, plus you can get them on Ebay.

What do you think? I like the idea of the front panels, we could maybe standardize them for the various projects, maybe rope on Frank and his wisdom ;-) I'm sure they will be cheaper to do than say a 2 or even 1U faceplate.

Keep up the creative thoughts! I for one hope this comes to fruition.

Cheers

Matt

I'm interested in about 8 cards of the 312 pre if they fit inside a 500 chassis.

Also, I have some 550a cards, face plates, chassis and parts that I never had time to finish but would add here in this thread.......Does anyone have a complete 550a? :thumb:

[quote author="jho-audio"]the gssl (with external power as included in your rack scheme) might fit on a 312 style card?

I would love to see this type of project mature into a full compliment of cards - eq, comp, pres, bus, oscillator .. This would free up the choice of packaging into a rack cage setup, stand-alone components or the ability to build a full console around such components.[/quote]

I have done a few mono GSSL 500 format layouts but they still need a bit of work with specific components in mind. Particularly the front panel switches and an LED GR meter so that it can fit nicely done one side of the faceplate... Im also open to any thoughts on how to obtain a stereo link, remembering that there is only one input and output for each card...

I'd much rather see some alternate gear being made into 500 series cards instead of just clones of whats already avaliable in the format. I guess it is open to a lot of design possibilities though.

fum's idea of getting together just a 500 series blank card with labelled pinouts could allow people to create there own and possibly share it with everyone else.

[quote author="Sammas"]I'd much rather see some alternate gear being made into 500 series cards instead of just clones of whats already avaliable in the format. I guess it is open to a lot of design possibilities though.

fum's idea of getting together just a 500 series blank card with labelled pinouts could allow people to create there own and possibly share it with everyone else.[/quote]
I agree! Adopt the 500 format because it is an ESTABLISHED standard, compatible with a lot of long-standing and widely used commercial gear.

[quote author="drpat"]Ok, so I measured, and here's what I came up with.

entire card length = 108mm
entire card width at it's widest point = 70mm
connector width = 64mm
connector depth = 13mm
board thickness = 2mm
connector traces = 2mm
trace spacing = aprox. 2mm
1st and last trace begin 3mm from edge of connector

I'm drawing this up now for better understanding.[/quote]

Cool work drpat! I know the pins are 3.96mm apart centre to centre if you wanted the exact measurement.

Latest posts

Back