Anyone interested in some API 500 format projects??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="drpat"]Ok, so I measured, and here's what I came up with.

entire card length = 108mm
entire card width at it's widest point = 70mm
connector width = 64mm
connector depth = 13mm
board thickness = 2mm
connector traces = 2mm
trace spacing = aprox. 2mm
1st and last trace begin 3mm from edge of connector

I'm drawing this up now for better understanding.[/quote]

I have a pair of OSA'a which look a lot larger than whats written. Are those measurements for a 500series card or from an original 312?

Im sure we can use larger cards just as long as they fit in the chassis with the appropriate pin outs... API has there 500 series modules measured as 1.5"x5.25"x6" deep... The PCB's, give an inch to include the knobs and vertical space for the thumbscrews and mounting bracket can be pretty big it appears.

I can measure the card size of my OSA but that won't be until monday or tuesday when im next in my little studio...

[quote author="drpat"][quote author="Sammas"]

I have a pair of OSA'a which look a lot larger than whats written. Are those measurements for a 500series card or from an original 312?

Im sure we can use larger cards just as long as they fit in the chassis with the appropriate pin outs... API has there 500 series modules measured as 1.5"x5.25"x6" deep... The PCB's, give an inch to include the knobs and vertical space for the thumbscrews and mounting bracket can be pretty big it appears.

I can measure the card size of my OSA but that won't be until monday or tuesday when im next in my little studio...[/quote]

This is just the card, sans the metal bracket that extends the card and holds the front panel on.[/quote]

oh ok! gotcha!

Any chance of a dimension from the back of the faceplate to the far end of the edge pins?

I was thinking about using a PCB a bit larger... particular for something like a mono GSSL...

like this...

mp1_new.gif

[quote author="drpat"][quote author="Sammas"]
oh ok! gotcha!

Any chance of a dimension from the back of the faceplate to the far end of the edge pins?

[/quote]

Aprox 153mm front to back
face plate is 133mm x 38mm

so it sounds like bigger cards will fit in the same rack![/quote]

Excellent! thanks a lot! It appears there is quite a decent amount of space to layout everything out...

All ready there guys!

but only as a hashed up bodge, with paxolin as a front panel! I have built a pair of 553 based passive eq's. 6 positions switchable HF from @10k to 24kHz thatv fit my API rack. Unbelievable! I am saving up for a multi-value inductor for LF Sowter loadsa dosh, but what I want. again, i want to have switchable frequencies. Other option is one frequency as a shelf, and switchable bells using one value of inductor, say cinemag. i have no room for MF on my front panel, but i've added two more frequencies on my original 553 by doubling/halving the capacitance in the mid-range. Sounds great to me. so @5kHz/2k5Hz/1k2Hz, and bells sound similar(unmeasured). I believe Mr Wolff said that this was practical . . .

Sadly no phantom available on my rack, cos its a BBE rack. Bah! I wish I still had access to the BBEQ;s that I used 15 years ago. full of chips, but SO sweet! API 500 sized. Never seen anymore. I would love to clone some of them . . . . .

I'm with them lot above me on the page!

ANdyP

553 is NOT fixed freq 550.

they are very different. 553 is passive, 550 active. it is easy to make a 553 with variable frequencies. 550 would ba a bastard to do! SO tightly packed, and still bein made . . . .albeit as 550b. Also, 553 needs only one 2@5@2@0(see Fabio) If you are not familiar with passive eq;s, check this one out, even if it only has fixes frequencies. SO tight in da bottm, SO smooth at da top . . . .

how 'bout an optical comp like Forssell or What Comp? should fit. i think it would be very hard to fit GSSL without v v expensive dual shafted pots/switches due to size . . . .

drpat,

my home brew passive 553's with switchable frequencies have the most incredible HF I have EVER heard outside of a mastering room . . . . pure AIR at 24kHz. Awesome on vocals or across mixbus . . . . I can't afford to build proper front panels, not because of cash, but because i NEED them so bad . . . . .

Latest posts

Back