Anyone interested in some API 500 format projects??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seth,

mine look just like that too. i am certain that they are ferite core, look how the coil is wound, around the core. If they were air-cored, they would have to be much bigger. Air-cored louspeaker cross-over inductors are huge in comparison to their ferite cored counterparts. and they would bewound the other way, round a bobbin, not round a solid core. i could be wrong. If i am wrong, please someone correct me!

Sorry to be so pedantic!

ANdyP

Im with seth, I had always understood a wound torroid like that to be an air core inductor. Auditronics used them in their mid 70's consoles as well.

dave

Youse are on crack :razz:

Those aren't air core. An air core 1H inductor--wound with any but the most microscopic magnet wire--would be huge.

The ferrite "donut", on which the toroid is wound, IS the core.

Great project, I'm watching this carefully. I have nothing to add, except for the person who couldn't find Dan Alexander's site:

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/api.html

Lots of good API info on that page: pinouts, spec sheets, etc.

Oh, if you're collecting votes, I like the option of multiple frequencies on the HF and LF, even if they're toggles soldered to jumpers on the board. You could even do a three-way toggle, though it would be difficult to label on the cramped 5xx board.

Ello ello...

Just an update.

Sowter & Cinemag inductors arrived yesterday, as too the Cinemag tranny.

Great quality stuff!

Wima's, Pots & switches are here also... PCB will be getting etched this weekend... just waiting on a DOA which i haven't ordered yet...

Hopefully it will be up and running be next weekend so i can share the layouts with you guys...

[quote author="drpat"]How'd the PCB etch go this weekend, Sammas?[/quote]

Gee hahaha, searching through the back pages of the forums trying to find this thread and its on the front page :grin:

The PCB came out nicely! But, there is a nice line through the middle of the copper... I dont know where if it was caused by my printer or if the copper layer of the PCB was flawed and i didnt notice it... Anyways i'll be picking up some more boards on my way home this afternoon so we should be right as rain tonight :thumb:

Im getting anxious to hear this puppy :cool:

It's all spectulation at the moment... I've been told they can just be left unconnected, and also been told that you can put a pot in there to adjust the gain (calibration of sorts). The latter doesn't seem right, particularly when you compare it to the 312 schems...

I'm going to just leave them unconnected... if it doesn't work it's time to experiment... :grin:

Yes! should be here very soon. I have the first one almost up and working... I just have to work the the mechanics a little before i post the goods. Its just a little fiddly to mount the pots and switches so im changing a few things to make it go together easier.

I have some photos i'll put up shortly...

Back