Oktava ML52 Replacement Transformer Revisted

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottme

Hi all,

My first post so be gentle :oops:

I have an ML-52 and am looking to upgrade the transformer. I have read numerous very imformative forum posts here and elsewhere, but I have some specific questions which I would like some advice on.

Firstly, have you guys had specific experienes with transformers that fit into the the ML-52 unmodified cavity, i.e. the Jensen JT-34K-DPC and Lundahl LL2911? (about 60-70 bucks ea). Any other appropriate or better types that also fit?
As an adendum to this, I have contacted Jenson (very helpful) and was told that they could make a small run (20-30 pieces) of the JT-34K-DX with a single can, meaning you get a Jensen tranny with proper wires that fit in the cavity. Much better than using the SM pins I imagine - would this be worthwhile?

Second, of coirse, a better matched transformer could be used if placed outside, like the Jensen JT-346-DX (about $230) - what is the equivalent Lundahl tranny (or any others for that matter)?. BUT is it really worth all the effort over solution 1 (cost, time, risk etc.)?

And after that, I will chop "the bell" off.....

Thanks for reading,

Scott.

Oh yeh, I can't spell very well either (I am an engineer, after all) - it should have read "revisited"

Hi scot and welcome the group DIY. For starts I recomend putting your location in your profile that way it's easier for us to help each other out.
Second do a search and read the metas, there has been discussions before about said very thing. If I remember correctly even a dorsey mod. look around and read. you will find we are gentle.

Don't forget Sowter too! They do two ribbon microphone transformers. One for low resistance ribbons and one for high resitance ribbons, ie. high ratio and low ratio respectively.

I think Prodigy Pro may sell them or search on Google.

Beeying an enguneer is no exquse fer bad spellung.

[quote author="scottme"]
I have an ML-52 and am looking to upgrade the transformer. I have read numerous very imformative forum posts here and elsewhere, but I have some specific questions which I would like some advice on.

Firstly, have you guys had specific experienes with transformers that fit into the the ML-52 unmodified cavity, i.e. the Jensen JT-34K-DPC and Lundahl LL2911? (about 60-70 bucks ea). Any other appropriate or better types that also fit?
As an adendum to this, I have contacted Jenson (very helpful) and was told that they could make a small run (20-30 pieces) of the JT-34K-DX with a single can, meaning you get a Jensen tranny with proper wires that fit in the cavity. Much better than using the SM pins I imagine - would this be worthwhile?

Second, of coirse, a better matched transformer could be used if placed outside, like the Jensen JT-346-DX (about $230) - what is the equivalent Lundahl tranny (or any others for that matter)?. BUT is it really worth all the effort over solution 1 (cost, time, risk etc.)?
[/quote]

Scott,

Welcome to DIY hell!

I would not use Jensens. They are intended as higher-Z MC transformers and although can be adapted for ribbon mics, they are not optimized for such use. From them I'd expect quite high noise and poor bass response.

Lundahl Cinemag (depending on a sound you want) both are excellent choices and would fit the cavity. I never tried Sowter, though.

Is your ML-52 single or double ribbon version?
If you have a double ribbon version, I'd suggest to try wiring ribbons in parallel vs. stock in series, for better bass response and noise spec, and see if you like it better.

Also, make a search here. There is some more info on ML52 grill and other stuff.

Hey scott!

Welccome to the Lab!

Speaking of transformers, I need to order some Langevin iron from Prodigy.
How late are they open?
Can I call them up?
Will Ethan answer the phone?
What if I have bad credit?

:razz:

Thanks all for your comments, you know how to make some1 welcome here.

I always thought that my ML52 was a double ribbon version, but now I'm not so sure - I must check!

Is there a better transformer than the LL2911 that will fit outside, or is the 2911 good enough?

Cheers all,

Scott.

[quote author="CJ"]...I need to order some Langevin iron from Prodigy...[/quote]Langevin? I though all they sold was Sowter?? I need to check the store more closely! Or do you mean Sowter Iron for the Langevin?

[quote author="MikoKensington"]You may also want to investigate Cinemag. I know they make a ribbon output.[/quote]

Wes Dooley uses the Cinemag in the AEA RCA clones he makes, it'll get you closer to a useable impedance than the Lundahl; the Lundahl takes you up to around 1200ohms, iirc. What's the impedance of the ribbons wired stock, I don't remember?!?!?

A certain somebody here has made preamp, I'll let him advertise his own bad self!

And like Marik says, you have to trash the entire grill, it rings and nobody could get it to stop, damping, clamps, nothing worked. Make a new one, single layer of screen, no silks, and judicious application of a pop filter when singing. I did one with the Lundahl, it's way way more open, doesn't sound like the singer has a 5 gallon bucket over her head anymore. Nice on dobro, believe it or not. As is it's not bad on electric guitar.

Latest posts

Back