TRIDENT 80B MOD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeno

Hi, I?ve a modification on my Trident 80B called ? Analogue switching for modified mixdown facility? so I can route the monitor section to the remix bus via dip switch. The signal passes a CD4066BE chip before it goes to the remix bus. When I compare the monitor channels to the input channels they sound a little bit flat. Does the CD4066BE degrade my signal? Is there a replacement for this chip ? thanks a lot ?k.

CMOS quad bilateral switch, one of those things that some machines (a lot of soundcrafts and calrecs) have in thousands and don't seem to do any harm.
There are fancier, more audio-specific switching chips (that work better with higher-level signal), but none that drop-in replace to my knowledge. It would be hard to tell without schematics comparing the monitor path with the channel path - and would suspect old capacitors or contacts/switches first.
I have the oposite problem on my Amek, the monitor path sounds punchier than the channel path which I think is just the design (impedances of various stages etc).

Thanks for your comment Jonathan! I recaped the whole console last month so maybe you are right and it is a impedance problem. The chip modification is just a 14pin socket so I can free wire it. Can you tell me any 'esoteric' chip that I can give a try ? thanks -k.

not offhand (t'was in the archives of the .........'other' place) but I seem to remember it was a FETish SSM something - but Bjorn Z does I think as we were brainstorming a midi-mute thang at one point for our consoles.

Keeno,

Your problem can be some miss match in the modification design, do you have drawing for this modification ??

BTW, I don´t like this CMOS switches in important audio patch as in the monitor section, it is a lot better to use a relay, or simple toggle switch if the function are on/off monitor mix to main L+R mix bus.

--Bo

Try to use something like dg411 family (412, 413..).
It is depending on signal level/impedanses/etc, but in some applications
dg411 family is true winner in opposite to 4066 crap..
relay is better, anyway.
a lot of soundcrafts and calrecs have in thousands and don't seem to do any harm.
Any Harm???
They add tones of color!
If you so love 40xx family, the better use for it I've ever see
is ... analog synth's :) . There was whole russian synthy built ONLY on 40xx.
Sounds fun.
:))[/quote]

I've a drawing for the modification but - like always- no webspace to post it. It seems very simple and like Bo said the function is just on/off monitor mix to main L+R mix bus. So maybe I'll try a simple toggle switch. thanks-k.

ok, here it is :
Modification.jpg

the four pins on the upper side left go to the remix bus L+R / L+R
an the the four pins on the right come from the monitor section and go to the monitor mix amp.With the toggle switch the monitor section should be routed to the mix bus...

Latest posts

Back