DIY Elastic mic suspension ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a few myself:
needed: 2 x garden tool clamps: you know the neat little metal spring things with some rubber around it . you push your tool on it and it opens and graps it tightly . ;)
also you need a small metal pipe, size and diameter of a small diagram microphone. attach the 2 clamps to the pipe with some screws. the pipe fits on a standard microphone clamp, et voila.
You have a universal microphone clamp. The rubber feet gives them a certain elastic suspension.
cheap, no need to change the elastics when they're broken and best of all, they hold a wide range of microphones.

this sabra-som mic shockmounts is made in Brazil, so, let me know if you need some, cause I can get it very cheapo here in Brazil.

John Peluso also sells Neumann style spider mounts. The one with pics on his page are for U67/87 type bodies. But he also states that he has similar models for straight body mics with up to 2" diameter.

What I'll probably do for my G7's is mount hooks on the body of the might itself and rplace the inner basket of a Neimann style spider mount and suspend the elastic in the hooks I put on the body.

I like how the Brauner mics are shockmounted. How do they work? Looks like the metal sleeve maybe uses a twist clamp mechanism?

Daniel

[quote author="Jazzy_Pidjay"]
rafafred, can u tell me a price for the ssm-1
i'm very interrest ?[/quote]

I bought mine a loooong time ago, but I remenber that it was a lot cheaper than what they charge for it in other countries. I´ll give a call tomorrow for my supplier and ask how much it costs at the momment. You know, in Brazil we still have a high inflation of prices. It sucks. You never know the price of the things.

It´s not 60% a week as it has been once, maybe 15 years ago, but it´s still high.

..or make your own like this.

SMount.gif

Z-Shock1.jpg

:razz:

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Here are some nice universal ones for sale cheep. I have one and really need more.
http://www.shockmount.com/
Now on the other hand, you could DIY this yourself...a DIY mount for a DIY mic!! Just don't sell it cause this guy has a patent!

Peace!
Charlie[/quote]
Interesting:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=F0A9DE6E54E7F4FE.40813DEE7B552555.1B560DD198A81AF5%40library-proxy.airnews.net

Well, I remenber buying some five years ago and it was very cheap. I should have bought more. Now that SABRA is selling internationally and etc... it´s more expensive.

I´ve contacted my distributor here in Niterói and the price is $35 for the single SSM1 and $100 for the SPK entire kit.

Not cheap for me.

But if it´s cheaper than out there, I would be glad to send you some.

Awesome Zebra!
I love it!
:grin: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:
A little glycerin on the bands might help preserve them.
Will give the mic a more "slippery" sound!
:guinness: :guinness:

Zebra:

That setup is very cool sorta like a Brauner sh-mount, and could be made even cooler methinks! I think you have given me some good ideas now!

If anyone is interested, I saw these GT shockmounts on sale today for $10! Maybe they could be used as a basis for a mount for some other mic?

Enjoy!
Charlie

Hello,
my first post in the new forum-location.
There are cheap shockmounts from Oktava and Superlux, called SM 1000 (Oktava) and HM-7 (Superlux), sold here in Germany for about 30,- Euro.
The look is very neumann-like and the Quality is OK.

I took just the outer cage and made some new inner mount for different microphones. In the evening i can take some pictures and post them here.

Florian

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]Zebra:
That setup is very cool sorta like a Brauner sh-mount, and could be made even cooler methinks! I think you have given me some good ideas now!
[/quote]

:guinness:

I forgot to write the parts. The parts are a broom handle, old copper manifold gasket rings from a scrapyard. Add elastic bands to taste. The design is not ideal as it doesn't stop up-and-down vibrations as well as sideways vibrations. This can be improved by using more elastic tied between the upper and lower elastic (if that makes sense). Total cost: zip!

I just got a pair of shockmounts off ebay for £5 each on a buy it now option so keep your eyes open.

Back