Ribbon mic Group buy , remember ? how does it actually sound

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="andre tchmil"]Is that all :shock:
C'mon guys.[/quote]

Naargh..I got some recording at work..between the t-bone and the AEA R-84´s.. BUT I´m far from work right now...We recorded... keys (my housekeys)..a bit of drums...acc guitar...el guitar.. trombone... rather big audio files 96Kz 24bits..when I get back home I can see if I can find the time to mail the files to whomever would be interested..or maybe someone has enough MB to host them for DL..I dunno..!! Let see when I get back

Kind regards

Peter

i promised sound clips... but i got caught up in moving and never did em... Everything is still in boxes... :?

here's an incidental pic from a recent session where for kicks we put up a royer, a beyer m130, and a nady (my shinybox mic arrived 2 days later) to record a rather lively musicman amp. all 3 mics are figure 8 pattern, all 3 into api 312 preamps and the differences were pretty much what i expected. the bit we were overdubbing was a semi-distant feedback type of sound.

3ribbon.jpg

the nady was the darkest for sure and was my favorite. if you've recorded a loud musicman amp before then you know why this was a no brainer.

:shock:

i'll see about getting some mp3 snips from this setup..

Just checked ebay for these Nady shinyboxes.

Don't get the price difference for the same model.
Some are offering them for 199, others 329 bucks :shock: :shock:

the shinybox mic is pretty cool especially for the money. Compared to most ribbons Ive ever used, its really dark, but smooth- its not grainy sounding like RCA 74's tend to be. I think before changing the transformer I would try removing some of the grill layers first. The shitty transformer in there does a cool thing.

Compared to a royer 121, SF-1 or a coles 4038 its just a different mic, period. It totally and completely can not take the level that a 121 can and I dont mean take the level before exploding but take the level before sounding wierd. Id use this mic for vocals or stuff around that SPL, I couldnt imagine using it on a guitar amp and didnt like it too much on a drum kit where a 121 pretty much slayed. Whatever, that mic is like 10 times the price.

In regards to price- my first ribbon was a 4038. It took me a long long time to realize the relative worth of that mic. When I started using ribbons, they all sorta sounded the same to me. I wasnt able to really grasp the price difference between mics until I started mixing stuff recorded with them. Long time ago, I got a bunch of 74's cheap and upon mixing it became clear why a 4038 was 15 times the price.

Anyhow, I found the shiunybox mic to be a real mic not a cheap mic. Like everything else that exists on this planet or others, its good for something and for most folks Id guess good for most things if you dig the sound. I could easily see a mic that sounded like that retailing for $500 if thats any perspective. Its a nice mic for what it is. Its not made particularly well but it sounds nice and is basically disposable for the price.

dave

I'm using two shinybox ribbons, mostly as a pair for acoustic guitar, percussion and most definitly for electric guitar lead. These mics sound fine to my ears.

A great setup I find for recording a solo acoustic guitar player/vocalist is the two ribbons panned left/right on the guitar and a TLM103 Neumann for vocals. the ribbons give depth on the guitar and the small amount of spillage from the Neumann help the top end a tad.

I never record too close to the ribbons, they like a little distance and this gives good tops. I might pull out a little bottom end from the acoustics when I mix.

Two mp3 samples here:

www.lkmusic.co.nz/Upload/ribbonmiced

LarryK

I've only used mine for recording some ambient drum tracks, and some B-3, and they sounded great. I haven't had the time to AB them against my ML-52's. but I think they sound a little less lofi then those.

Back