opamps on +24V PSU, How to...?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetsen

I asked this on RO. Can't remember how to do it. I need to power an NE5532 off a +24V PSU. The more details the better for me.

Steven

Vetsen, you'd have to use a split supply, of -12 & +12, from the 24 volts. The +12 to pin 8, and the -12 to pin 4 of the NE5532. I don't think you could run it off the full 24 unless you dropped a couple volts, 'cause I believe the max voltage is 20 for that device. Hope that helps?

You can use resistors to bias the op amp in the middle of the 24V so that the signal moves symetricly around the center (+12V). Only catch is, it creates a big dc offset, +12V to be exact, and you have to use coupling caps.

I thought there was a way to do it using a voltage divider. Using two resistors and two caps somehow.

Steven

[quote author="Vetsen"]I thought there was a way to do it using a voltage divider. Using two resistors and two caps somehow.

Steven[/quote]Yes, and by doing so you're basically biasing the op amp in the middle like a I wrote above. Divide the voltage with two equal resistors from +24V to ground - the junction between them is your "virtual" ground. The other end of the 24V resistor becomes "V+" and the other end of the ground resister becomes "V-".

Sorta like this?

p43-fig1.gif

p43-fig2.gif

From http://sound.westhost.com/project43.htm

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks

Steven

[quote author="Vetsen"]Sorta like this?[/quote]You got it! :wink:

Don't forget to use the coupling caps on the signal.

Actually if you use a wall-wart (it's floating), you could reference the virtual ground to the analog ouput ground pin, and there shouldn't be any more DC offset than what the op amps produce.

Latest posts

Back