Mother of all toobz?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:green:

we got stuff like that up the mountain in the TV transmitter

Just a fascinating is the wiring job up the stick,
lots of copper tubing ... it looks more like plumbing

It looks like they make audio tubes as well:

http://www.cpii.com/eimac/catalog/168423.htm

- great for a high power SE amp :green:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="nacho459"]So where do I find a 1,500,000 Watt output transformer? :wink:[/quote]

Don't need one with those currents. Do limit the input voltage to such an amp though.

Hey though---could do some interesting things with direct drive to big electrostatics!

> where do I find a 1,500,000 Watt output transformer?

Here. The guys in the front of the top-right picture are stacking lams for a somewhat smaller core than you need. This looks like the kind of shop where a modest amount of hard currency might get large results. Shipping to Pasadena, will, however, be extra.

I thought you got 2,000,000 watts output (from two tubes).

That suggests a 3,000,000 watt plate power transformer. I think we can ignore the derating we need in single-phase rectifier-capacitor power transformers: your power transformer WILL be a 3-phase job, so you can use a six-phase rectifier and get very low ripple before filtering.

Assuming idle power is half of maximum power, at retail electric rates this would cost about $100 per hour to run. Double for stereo. However you can probably negotiate a lower rate, especially if you commit to not using it during peak hours. If you prefer to DIY your own electric, collect about a dozen of the biggest 18-wheel truck diesel engines. And a big fuel tank: these will eat about 250 gallons per hour. (The largest legal indoor home heat fuel tank is 275 gallons and lasts weeks in the coldest weather; I don't think you could drain it in an hour without a larger fuel line.)

My estimate of the output iron was about 4 feet cubed. In speech/music use, power dissipation will be low, so it might be that size. The power transformers, however, will have significant power losses and at these power they will need additional cooling. Often this is done with an oversized oil-filled case with rippled fins and possibly fans from a small airplane. Perhaps like this. On this page they list a 5MVA transformer at 10 feet cube and 10 tons.

Note that even in AB1, zero grid power, the grid capacitance and swing is so high that you need the equivalent of about a 100 watt amplifier to swing the grids. 12AU7 won't cut it; dual 6550 might not be enough.

A lot of tubes and stuff are being auctioned off at dirt cheap prices by the goverment. Where is it coming from? All these military bases that are getting the shaft. A lot of surplus houses are reaping the benifits. So if you have the idea of starting your own pirate radio staiton and using Clearwater frequencies because you are so pissed off about the current state of afairs of the music biz, and you have a boat anchored two hundread miles off shore in the gulf of Mexico, contact your local decomissioned Army base for some dirt cheap Klystrons.

What about power you say? Easy. Just run an underwater extension chord to the nearest oil derrick.

PRR has the transformer size right, but neglected to tell you that you will nead a cooling tank for the rectifier stacks.. Not to worry. The tank can be filled with waste oil from your local McDonalds fast food outlet.

Any idea how they flip those 1500 pound coils from horizontal to vertical so they can slip them on those mitered cores? I know. But I an't sayin.

Please excuse the use of an ebay link on the drawing board but I couldn`t find another picture.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5793585402&category=3284&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

I always liked the look of the 212 or 4212 if you get the ST&C version. To put the size into perspective from memory they`re 10" - 12" tall & favoured by the Japanses hifi fraternity for singel ended triode amps

Latest posts

Back