Need Source for LA2A enclosure

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluzzi

I may be making the enclosure myself but I wanted to at least have a source or 2 for the enclosure as a refference.

I did a search but couldn't see anything. But I swear I read something here in the past.

Thanks.

Jim

Here's one:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/rackacc6.htm

Steel Chassis With Panel #5-525DGY2

Cheap at about 40 bucks, but awful to machine, especially for the la2a.

Pics:

http://www.vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/LA2/Rons_LA2/

Parts list:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cayocosta/diy_files/la2a/partslist.xls

dude, just get a par metal case.

DIY drilling steel is a lesson in punishment, aluminum is sooooo much easier to work on.

dave

Thanks Cayacosta. I may buy one at least. I have some ideas on a chassis that is why I was thinking of my own.

I have access to a machine shop so its no problem.

I have your drawing and will probably be using it (no certainly will).

I am awaiting the resistors, capacitors, pots, and power trannies. After that I only need the tubes and tube sockets so I am almost there.

Oh yes also the T4B which I will be getting last. Sometimes I think I should have started with a simpler and cheaper project but as the parts accumulate the anticipation is getting stronger.

The Hammond case looks like it will be the one for me.

Thanks again guys.

Jim

the aluminum series par metal cases have a panel which mounts inside the chasis left to right, like the front panel. You can mount all your tubes and transformers on this panel and just mount the XLRs and power on the rear panel so you dont have transformers and tubes hanging off the back of the chasis which totally sucks for road worthiness if thats important. Just drill some holes in the top and bottom panels for ventilation and it should work fine, somewhat ideal for tube projects.

dave

What Dave suggested is exactly what I did. Internal panel parallel to the front panel with all the tubes and transformers so they wouldn't stick out the back. I think mine is a Bud enclosure, but I can't remember. Works great, though.

This one from Mainline surplus (UK) would probably work fine - the front panel is hinged like the original:

http://www.mainlinegroup.co.uk/mless/main.php?act=Card&id_element=3632

Jakob E.

[quote author="nacho459"]"Jiffy Box Chassis"[/quote]

I just had a flashback to the '70s and "Jiffy Pop" popcorn in the tinfoil pan...

Figures I'd read about a chassis and think about food!

Nacho, have you got any pictures of your LA-2A? I happen to have that same LMB chassis lying around, and also some three-space panels.

Thanks again for your help.

Does anyone have a source of the one with the hinge?

(my project is probbaly going to win for longest to fruition) I just got my Power Transformers and trpple throw sitches as well as the turret boards. I already have my audio transformers. My resistors, capacitors, pots and switches are on the way and should be here next week. Now almost there for the tubes and sockets and finally the T4B. Oooof!

Jim

you can find hinge in any "bulding center"? near your home (as canadian in french "bricolage" center.. sorry for my approximate english). nothing special they are usualy used for wooden boxes or cases, buy one in inox steel and cut it to your front panel dimension.
happy building...
audioforge :wink:

[quote author="audioforge"]you can find hinge in any "bulding center"? near your home (as canadian in french "bricolage" center.. sorry for my approximate english). nothing special they are usualy used for wooden boxes or cases, buy one in inox steel and cut it to your front panel dimension.
happy building...
audioforge :wink:[/quote]

Thanks Audioforge bit I already know that! The actual one that has teh hinge is still available but I have lost my source.

I am either going to get a fully built casing or just make it from aluminum. For now I woudl like to try both.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Bluzzi,
I use those very same hammond boxes for my LA2A clones...no problem with the metal work. (I'm making 4 more right now)
I use a drill press and hole saws of different sizes (like the kind to cut holes in doors) Keep the drilling speed slow and use cutting oil.
Regards,
Freddy

I have no problems working on an existing one as I have access to a machine shop. However for my first 2 LA2As I would like to not work on the enclosure when it comes to the front panel lid.

If I can't find one with a hinged panel I will get this one for sure.

Thanks.

Jim

Hey folks, take a look at the LBX-3 or LBX-4 drawer rack on the middle atlantic site... it could be used for the LA2A project if one wanted to replace the hinged front panel for a straight blank one.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/storage/drawers.htm

Latest posts

Back