Ribbon Mic Samples (Drum Overheads)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fum

Hey there,

I finally got some drum samples done with a couple different microphones here, and thought I'd post some samples for those interested.

(Admins, I don't know where this should land, as these are products I have for sale, but people have different versions of these microphones, and it might bring about some decent discussion. I feel like I've been hangin here long enough that it belongs in The Lab, but if you feel that it should go elsewhere, feel free to move it, thanks!)

Notes:

1. I'm not a drummer, I don't play one on tv. But I sure love to beat me some drums :grin:. All comments regarding performance are kindly directed to /dev/null. I've never played drums regularly, and this is the first time I've played in a couple years, so nyah nyah :razz:

2. Keep in mind you're hearing the room as much as the drums. I have a smallish room (roughly 10'X12'X9.5'), with some treatment, but it's certainly not your world class kick ass drum room.

3. This is not for the bandwidth constrained, theres about 25mb of download if you listen to all three, these are uncompressed aif files. You've been warned =)

That said, all these samples were recorded through a custom mic pre I built, that's similar to an API 312 in design, using a Melcor 1731 opamp. No compression, straight into the recorder at 24-bit, 44.1K. There's some overs, but I didn't hear any glaring gnarlies when I listened back, so there it is.

[Edit, update links to new soundfiles]

ShinyBox 23C:

http://www.shinybox.com/products/ribbonsamples/23C3.aif

ShinyBox 23:
This was recorded second.

http://www.shinybox.com/products/ribbonsamples/233.aif

ShinyBox 46:
This is the new tiny mic I posted about in the Black Market. I recorded it at the same gain setting, but in real life, it's hotter than the others, so I would have taken it down a couple clicks.

http://www.shinybox.com/products/ribbonsamples/463.aif

There you have it. I'm workin up some acoustic guitar samples next

Regards

ju

Nice sound. It sounded like the 23 was clipping on the snare hits when compared to the 23C, but it didn't look too bad when I opened it in Peak. So it must just be that the 23 sounds a little crunchier on the high end? Or am I on dope? I didn't look to see what the specific differences are in the mics.

Hey there,

I redid these soundclips, as the originals had lots of clipping. When in doubt, hit the pad button :wink:

Regards

ju

Surprising how much difference the transformer makes in the 23C. Any plans to offer a transformer upgrade for the 46, or suggest a suitable replacement?

Great comparison, really interesting. Can you elaborate on the mic placement? Height, feet from kit, etc.

Thanks,
Brian

Sure, spacing was about 3 feet apart.. Oh hell, here's a picture:

ohpic.jpg

I do plan on offering traffo upgrades for the 46 as well, as there is ample space in there to fit your traffo of choice. I'm building several up at present.

Latest posts

Back