SU*MIT AUDIO TLA*-50 inside view & soundfile

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrgrecording

194-9438_IMG.jpg

194-9439_IMG.jpg

194-9442_IMG.jpg

194-9444_IMG.jpg

194-9445_IMG.jpg

194-9446_IMG.jpg

194-9447_IMG.jpg

194-9450_IMG.jpg

194-9454_IMG.jpg

194-9455_IMG.jpg

194-9457_IMG.jpg

[one side original - one side processed with different settings]
http://www.nrgrecording.de/tempfolder/summit/summit1.mp3

It has crappy bourns pots which feel loosely. Meter backlight with 4 leds, 2 red light for overload - nice idea. The backplate where the xlrs and lettering is done is screwed to the case so they only need one case for different stuff... like the mic preamps which has the same dimensions. Interesting mains transformer.

[quote author="nrgrecording"]Interesting mains transformer.[/quote]
Looks like an R-core transformer. Should radiate less noise than toroids (according to the manufacturers :wink:).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Those bourns pots are actually pretty good sonically. But I agree they feel far too loose, especially when using large knobs. The solution is to get a rubber O-ring and slide it over the pot shaft to create a little drag between the knob and the faceplate, and shaft. The end result greatly improves the feel, and retains the performance of the conductive plastic pots.

Clarostat conductive plastic RV4 pots feel much better, but cost about 3-4 times what the bourns do.

Cheers,

Kris

What´s doing all this CD4016 digital thingy in there?

In my last project (G-Pultec) I used Spectrol/Vishay cond. plastic pots. They feel very nice even with big knobs. They are half(!) price of bourns (@RS).

:sam:
Jens

I have one of these, and it's really rather good. i initially had spurious noise issues with it. i traced these to the Tube.( a chinese 12ax7) I replaced it with a military mullard ecc83, and it even sounds better now. And no spurious bursts of noise!

ANdyP

What does an LM 13600 OTA do in a TUBE-LEVELER? Strange...
I used to have an TL-Audio Ivory Compressor with the same constellation LM13600 - but a Tube in the signal-path - so it's a tube-compressor.

[quote author="mcs"][quote author="nrgrecording"]Interesting mains transformer.[/quote]
Looks like an R-core transformer. Should radiate less noise than toroids (according to the manufacturers :wink:).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen[/quote]

Mikkel, which manufacturer said this?

[quote author="nrgrecording"]
It has crappy bourns pots which feel loosely. [/quote]

Hey Thanks for the pics.. :wink:

It does look like Conductive pots to me (could be wrong)..conductive pots are not usualy crappy pots rather the opposite...they are "loosely" in their feel ;-).

Kind regards

Peter

Those conductive plastic Bourns pots are not crappy at all. They are very good, although the feel is not satisfactory.

chrissugar

EDIT (this is post 1111) :grin:

> What does an LM 13600 OTA do in a TUBE-LEVELER?

And a 12AX7. As far as I can figure, that is about the least-good tube you could use for variable-Gm audio gain control without major coloration and gross distortion. Most of the things that make a tube "good" for an amplifier make it "bad" for gain-control.

Yeah, I have seen Bogen use DC-control of gain in a PA amp with a 12AX7, but input levels were low, output noise typically high, and the control was fade-out only.

Sure looks like make-up glow to me. What's wrong with that?

Jens, what's wrong with the knobs you got?

"They feel very nice even with big knobs. half price...."

OK.

And a reply by "strangeandbouncy" right underneath. I'm tellin ya folks...

CJ, there´s definitely nothing wrong with them. They are going to be my standard pots for the future. The only thing to complain is that they are mechanically very sensitive. I destroyed three of them when I was cutting the axle. But to be honest, I wasn´t very careful...
Jens

Latest posts

Back