Has anyone one used 3" brass tube for mics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpd

The screen on the shiny box ribbon element i ordered is 2" wide.
I am thinking about using 2.5" or 3" pipe for my mic case.
JU suggested trimming the screen which i may do, but it would be easier to just use a larger housing.

Does anyone have any warnings against this? (i'm thinking it may not be able to use a clamping type shock mount, is this true?) Before i buy and then find out it's a bad idea, what are my options for something this large.

Here is the sight i'm looking at:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1571&step=4&showunits=inches

Any suggestions?

Well, you get above maybe 1.25" and you're going to have to figure out your own mic clip. But really if you're able to do a brass-pipe mic a shockmount isn't that big a deal.

One thing I noticed doing a couple of 2" mics recently was kind of a hashy sound in the highs, apparently from sound bouncing off the inside of the body and windscreen. As you start getting a bigger volume inside the windscreen the frequencies that can be reflected start getting lower, into the audible range. I ended up lining the whole thing with a thin layer of open-cell foam, which cleaned up the sound considerably. I'm thinking about trying that on my Fum ribbon mic since it has a similar nasty sound in the highs.

Latest posts

Back