Opamps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysolinski

Hi Guys,
I am going to build a 312-ish style mic pre. That said I have been searching ebay etc...for a 2520 (good luck with that!)...what are you guys using in your 312 style pre's? I see alot of new stuff..JLM, Millenia etc...Any reccomendations? I have a Lundahl for the input and will probably grab a Cinemag for the output since the Profile thing doesn't look like it will be over anytime soon...

Cheers,
Ray

I recommend you Melcor opamp, the info is around (search Meta-Discrete Opamps) and the sounds is very good even compared to 2.5.2.0.... richer on mids... but you can find more comments/opinions on the forum.

cheers!
FAbio

I second the Melcor.

If you guys want to roll your own API output, I could order a string of lams and a box of bobbins from Cosmo Corp. It's a couple of hundread turns of quad Litz, which would be the only thing I need to source. You can wind it by hand, but would have to tape up your own lead breakouts. No processing required, loose lams sound better anyway.

cj

[quote author="CJ"]If you guys want to roll your own API output...[/quote]Now there's a DYI concept. I didn't realize it was that easy. Once I'm set up, how long does it take "roll" one?

I've been waffling over getting on the SCA bandwagon or going full DIY using Fabio's boards. This might push me over the edge (toward DIY). How easy a wind is this for a first timer? :grin:

Analog Packrat

well...not quite ready to roll my own....transformers that is :)...I read the meta before I posed the question....Melcor sounds interesting..how in the world do you find one? I searched google, melcor.com,evilbay etc....I was also thinking of the Avedis but can't seem to find a parts page over at Brent's site, just whole pre's....Anyone sell discrete opamps?

Ray

DearCJ,

Now you're talking my language! I would LOVE to be able to wind some! Even if they aren;t quite the same as the originals, I KNOW I would find them MUCH better :green: Gotta love DIY! Seriously, is it that practical a proposition for a clutz/novice like me? i am very interested . . . .

All the best,

ANdyP

well...I may do that in the future but there are limits ! When I repair my car I don't make the brake pads :grin: ..Just wanted to put together an API style pre...I guess I will keep looking around. I thought someone here would know a source...Maybe I will call Brent Averill and see about the Avedis...

Ray

CJ,

I'd be down for the roll your own idea. I've been waiting for the pro.file's too. This would at least get me started until that whole mess gets worked out... IF it ever does!

Ray, I made my own opamps, from boards someone was selling in the Black market, but sounds like you may not want to DIY the opamp. People around here seem to like the John Hardy (JH990) which is based on a Jensen opamp paper. Joe Malone (JLM) makes nice stuff. I haven't seen anybody here comment on his opamp, but he gets rave reviews on just about everything he makes. Anyhow, this is heresay, not first-hand, but maybe it will help. Brent Averill, Millenia... sounds like you're on the right track.

FWIW, I'd never soldered anything but pipes and house wiring, and I managed to make 10 working opamps and 4 a*p*i-style pres, with a Radio shack iron. It can't be that bad if I could do it. You'll need to devote some time to understand the circuit, and some money for test equipment. If you're putting together the pres, you'll need the test gear anyway.

If you want Melcor info, go to the top of the page, put the word 'Melcor' or '1731' or '1*7*3*1' in the first line of the search function, and hit return. There's also a lot of info here on the other opamps you mentioned which can be accessed the same way.

Good luck, Paul

well...I have done some soldering..built the Royer Tube Mic, modded and racked a ton of gear...what it comes down to with me is time allocation. As a working musician and father of one (and one on the way) I try to divide my time between gigs, recording and diy stuff (in addition to the usual household chores, family etc..). I know I will get to a point when I will make my own pcb's but for now just getting them, stuffing and tweaking them is enough. As for design..well, I'll leave that to the professionals here :cool: ....understanding a circuit is one thing..coming up with one from scratch is a whole other ballgame...just like music...playing and understanding is one thing..composing and arranging entirely different!

Ray

looking for a way to add a 25th hour to the day

Latest posts

Back