has anyone ever seen a broken 57?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate

i have one.

common looking abuse, but no output.

i know they are dirt cheap but just curious. Capsule damage?

Also an oddly dead RE16.

any tips or suggestions to test?

thanks!

I've had sm57s/58s break in two ways:

1) One of the twisted up leads connecting the capsule assembly to transformer inside the part of the body that screws off rips. Can be fixed but it's awfully short.

2) one of the tiny, single copper wires coming down from the diaphragm to the terminals rips. Couldn't fix this myself when it happened. Send it back to Sure.

[quote author="Family Hoof"]1) One of the twisted up leads connecting the capsule assembly to transformer inside the part of the body that screws off rips. Can be fixed but it's awfully short.[/quote]

I had this happen to me. Quick fix. They don't leave much room for things to come loose.

The drummer in my former band was using a 57 for some background vocals. He accidentally caught the little windscreen thing with one of his sticks and somehow ripped the whole windscreen and diaphragm off.

concerning the twisted leads...
What I do is count howmany turns the head needs to get back into place and counterturn the head before screwing back on to the body. This way you don't end up twisting these leads to tight.

I do leave a few turns to have a little turn, to avoid damage and tighten up the inside a little.

Tony

I had one that wasn't working and so I started from the xlr pin and worked my way up through the mic all the way to the diaphram. The little copper lead had broken near the coil and so I tried to fix it by tying (yes tying) another littel copper wire to it. But I just broke it more and ended up throwing it away. By the time I was done with this thing it was in pieces. I would have been embarrased to send it in. Just thought I'd share anyway. I hope it works out for you. These things are engineered with ZERO room for anything that is not essential in the mic.

Now that I think about it taking it apart is actually a pretty good experience because you get to see first hand what good engineering can accomplish. Just good luck putting it back together.

Tim

Back