24mm Chassis Punch in US

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonsOfThunder

Anyone know where to get these cheap in the US? This is the size for Neutrik D-series connectors.

I just saw that Canford in the UK sells them for like US$12! I know that shipping will take this higher but the cheapest I have found in the US is like $45 :shock:

Are these punches from Q-Max junk?

Thanks!
Charlie

I do not know of any that are cheaper than these

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseItem=GL730A&cat=TESTTOOLS&subcat=&prodClass=PUNCHDIES&mfg=&search=0&off=[/url] :?:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1453&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=489&iSubCat=493&iProductID=1453

They work great and thry're CHEAP!

-Jay

[quote author="fazeka"]Huh?

$36.11 @ Mouser vs. $42.95 @ Markertek? :?:

Unless I am misunderstanding? :?:[/quote]

Opps...you are just too f**ckin fast.

You must of posted 5 seconds b4 I did, your right $36.11 is
the better price. I suppose I ought to hit my refresh button
once in awhile :oops:

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]
Are these punches from Q-Max junk?[/quote]

Nope, all my punches are Q-Max. Used them for years (and on steel slightly thicker than recomended) with no troubles. Just keep 'em greased.

Mark

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/ has 24mm for £5.50 (vs 6.29 @ Canford), but unfortunately for us that's still in the uk. A little cheaper though.

Hey nathun...!

Wassup?

I found this at the other place you linked to...
Export orders are welcome, but a minimum order value of 1000 pounds applies.

:shock: Don't think I need that many... But I found another place that might be more reasonable about the minimum...Where? Why its at DIYTools! where else!

Is anyone else interested? I think I may order 6 or so and if you want one here in the US, you could just send me an MO. Hey, I can post that in the Black Market, eh? I'm going to inquire at LondonTools as well.

Thanks!
Charlie

I would be interested in 1. Anyone have any idea what kind of punch you could use to make the sort of oval shape holes at the corners of a rackmount faceplate?

I would be interested in 1 as well. My step drill is often lonley and needs a new friend. :shock:

Cheers,

elco

Anyone have any experience with the variable diameter drill bits from Mcmaster-Carr?

Seems like that would be better than a step-bit, especially since it seems all the holes i need for connectors and such are all in between the various step-bit sizes.

Seems, though, that only McMaster-Carr sells bits like that.

Daniel

Anyone used a punch like this before for making small holes. Looks kinda cheap, but might be worth the money. Ebay# 3825726226

nathun,
Might be a cool thing, that punch, but the throat isn't very deep. If you were making holes on a 2U panel, could be kinda tricky. I'd think something like this would be what you are looking for on the oblong rackmount ear holes.

Daniel,
Can you give us a link on those drillbits? I think I have used the item you are referring to.

NYD,
I think those punches may be made by Q-Max and that is a great deal for the set, but I don't think it has the metric sizes. :sad: But I'll prolly buy a set of those later when the new family member has arrived and my 'DIY fund' gets back on its feet!

Okay, the count is up to three...watch this thread and I'll post the amount here when I find out the cost with shipping. Then we can do business thru the Black Market.

Thanks Gents!
Charlie

McMaster-Car number is 8910A11 for their smallist size. DIYTools.com also has some, just search for "Taper" and the manufacturer is Faithful.

Daniel

Harbor Freight has 3 PC TITANIUM NITRIDE COATED M2 HIGH SPEED STEEL STEP DRILLS ITEM 8873-1VGA for $20. It includes steps for 3/16'' to 1/2'' Six Step Bit (3/16'', 1/4'', 9/16'', 3/8'',7/16'', 1/2''); 1/4'' to 3/4'' Nine Step Bit (1/4'', 5/16'', 3/8'', 7/16'',1/2'', 9/16'',5/8'',11/16'',3/4''); 1/8'' to 1/2'' Thirteen Step Bit (1/8'', 5/32'', 3/16'', 7/32'', 1/4'', 9/32'', 5/16'', 11/32'', 3/8'', 13/32''?, 7/16'', 15/32''?, 1/2'') Looks like most of the common holes to me and it's pretty cheap.

junkie:

Ya, a friend has a coupla those and i have used them once or twice. You do need to drill a pilot first and you have to watch the depth closely or you'll go over. That's the cool thing about the step drills is that they give a positive indicator of you progress. They hole is a little bit tapered with those other bits but not somuch they aren't usable.

Got an email back from LondonTools waiting on DIYTools still. Its not going to be too bad! Definitely cheaper than $35 plus shipping from Mouser!

Peace!
Charlie

Back