re splitter + volume/pan... Jakob?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmroz

Hi all, another lo-fi question. Saw Jakob's splitter design in this thread
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6619#img_7751

Looks like a good splitter for this pedal doohickey I got asked about:

A guitarist friend asked me to figure out a volume/pan pedal (similar to EB 5165) that doesn't suck tone. BTW volume/pan makes 2 signals out of one, then pedal varies output from all output 1 to all output 2, blending the 2 on the in-between settings. Each output goes to a separate amp (Fender Twin and Roland JC-120 in this case). It can also take 2 signals and control L/R for stereo output, though he doesn't need that.

He gave me a volume pedal he wasn't using to mod. At first I was thinking the signals would have to be combined electrically, but when I opened up his pedal and saw the pot connected to a wire, I had a flash of old-school mechanics. All I need to do is split the signal, then mount 2 identical pots on the same shaft (one would be opposite the other, so opposite rotation) and bingo.

Question... if I followed 2 outputs of Jakob's design with a pot each, should the value of each be 1M? 500K is more common, but may be responsible for the 'loading' we've read about regarding the E Ball pedal.

Also, the EB has a pot labelled 'min vol' which I'm guessing is to trim the sensitivity of the pedal swing and zero it at the end of swing(rotation). Maybe this is to fine tune the loading? So if I put another pot in series with each 1M/500K pot for 'trim', what would be a good value?

Input to the pedal would come from a Vox Valvetronix board, last in his chain. And he uses both active and passive guitars, if that matters.

Any ideas?

I don't know much about guitar-pedal stuff, but my guess is that the easiest way would be to do this passively, just with the pot in the volume pedal..?

Jakob E.

Jakob, thanks for the reply. Yep, that was the idea, hang 2 pots on OUT 1 and OUT 2, turn one around and connect both to the pedal shaft/pulley. May just try both 500k and 1M and see. Checked TL074 specs.... now looking at guitar signal theory in more detail. Don't know if I need lin or log pots for this, but info should be easy to reckon. Also curious as to the 'min volume' pot addition, hopefully not needed with this setup.

Thanks again, Paul

Don't know if I need lin or log pots for this,

Lin is needed, as you use one of them "backwards"..

Also curious as to the 'min volume' pot addition

this would be another dual lin pot, each section connected between lower end of volume pot and ground, thus limiting attenuation when volume pot is at end

Jakob, thanks again for the design and help. Went digging online yesterday and sorted it...in theory, anyway. Off to the surplus for pots.

Paul

Latest posts

Back