g9 rebuild - few questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netcastle

So I built this G9. It was my first project and I really didn't do the best job (I used radioshack solder and I didn't heatsink the components as I put them in, nor did I test any of the components) and I think it is apparent in the performance of the unit. The sound itself is very good, but there are oscillations as higher gain settings, I get a little bit of hum (4 smoothing caps) when I turn the volume all the way up and I get a little hiss out of the unit at higher gain settings. Anyway, how quiet is this thing supposed to be? I want to get rid of the hum, hiss and oscillations. Where should I start?

Should I order a new PCB or will the one I have survive the rebuild? I got it from gustav.

I am going to use new caps. Wimas?

Do all of the resistors need to be tested? Is this a good practice for all diy?

Should I go with a new set of tubes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tim

Don't worry too much about it. I think many G9s oscillate at higher gain settings. Probably a function of wire dress for the gain switches, and i/o routing.

I haven't built one myself so I can't comment on how it's supposed to sound, but I can say that your solder is not to blame....sure, radioshack brand solder probably isn't the best, but it works okay, I've built some great stuff using it (when I run out of Kester).

Testing components before installing them.....I almost never do that. The exceptions are resistors that I can't read the colour code on, or resistors that I need to match.

Where to start....well you probably don't need a rebuild, just thoroughly check the board for bad solder joints, and play around with the cable routing.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Kris

PS: G9 was pretty ambitious as a first project...good job getting it to work thus far!

Thanks. Yeah, it was definitely more than I bargained for. But, I believe in this thing. I need the best out of it that I can get. Does anyone have any great experiences out of it? Tell me what is the best this thing has to offer. That's what I want because from now until I can't play and sing anymore it needs to be a realiable goto in my arsenal. That's why I chose it as my first project. It's either that or build a whole new one and look upon this one as my bastard stepchild. I don't want to build a new one because I am already building new stuff, I'm out of money and I so want to put together an La2a.

CIAO
Tim

Latest posts

Back